Femspring

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Femspring was composed by Thorkild Knudsen and was included in Gert Andersens music book published in Denmark in 1836. It's in 5/8 time and literally translates from Danish as five (fem) leaps (spring). There are some crazy jazz versions on YouTube which might have influenced me a little. There is also a version on The Session where they think it's a slip jig. This one was tough for me but it's such a cool tune and it's really easy to play. You can download a pdf here:https://spillefolk.dk

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Groovescraper strikes again! These funny odd-numbered tunes seem to be on the rise everywhere. Even in Irish music there's an increasing base of 7/8 Tunes with telltale names - the first one I've heard is called "Wrong Foot Forward", and the second one in this set is called "Luke Skywalker Walking on Sunshine"... figure that.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    An interesting one, David, and that time signature reminds me of the old Dave Brubeck "Take Five". Your filming must have taken you some time and effort to get all the clips synced - did you play through the whole tune on each instrument then cut and paste while carefully lining up the parts? Well played.
  4. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    I like this one and you play very well as usual.
    After I listened here I tried to play it. I need to think how play the accompaniment.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bertram, I love "Wrong Foot Forward" although I am not sure sure what time signature it is in. Compound rhythms are challenging for me.

John, I did record full videos for everything but the piano and then cut them into little pieces to string them together. It was not easy and it was very time consuming.

Pierpaolo, "The Good Tune" was where I originally discovered the tune, I can play along with that one on melody but you are right, the accompaniment is the hard part.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Impresssing as always!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Amazing recording and a very enjoyable performance, David.