Davy, Davy Knick Knack

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another Olde English tune from Paul Hardy’s Tunebook, I found it here referenced as #852 in Other tunes and also referenced in ‘part 2’, but couldn’t find the actual thread.

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great wee tune,Simon, and one we play a lot here in Scotland. Popular with my fiddle-playing friends too.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That's super nice Simon. I like the added track - how do you do that?
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Profuse apologies John, I assumed it was English in origin, maybe not, but it does seem exceedingly nice, sweet, quaint, and simple to learn. I’ve had a recording blockage for the last three weeks with fifty odd tunes held up. Saved by this tune!

Thanks Ginny, the backing is a guitar played at the 3rd fret so that the tune’s two chords, G and D7 are played in the E and B7 finger shapes. That allows an easy alternating bass, which is simple and full, especially with the B7 shape. The picking pattern is basically sort of root on the sixth or fifth string then four, third and second strings while holding the right chord shape. I’m wondering if strumming would have been better...
    How do you find the guitar track volume? I’m never sure if it’s right...
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here Ginny, the guitar play along vid with melody muted except for beginning of parts. Enjoy!

6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, I do not know if it is Scottish in origin, and it is apparently popular with Morris Dancing groups - certainly not Scottish! I think it transcends borders, and we use it up here for The Dashing White Sergeant dance at ceilidhs.

Your arrangement with the guitar and alternating bass is really effective, and the wee video you have just included is a very good way of demonstrating the backing. Great job, sir!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon's version inspired me to have a go at this one, and I have paired it with another old favourite, Staten Island, giving me a change of key from G to D. As Simon has done, I just played simple chords and alternating bass on my Lowden guitar after recording the melody on my octave. In Staten Island I love the drop to the C chord in the second part!

8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excessively well played John. I really enjoyed that, thanks.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    All the time I wonder where I heard that KnickKnack thing before. And everybody here did convincing renditions, preserving the character (sounds like something from Mother Goose).
    Thanks for adding Staten Island, John, for not only does it fit perfectly, but I also now know the name of that tune I often heard in sessions.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Simon and Bertram. The title of the first is interesting, Bertram, and I have heard that this tune has connections to a children's rhyme which goes roughly "Davy, Davy, Knick Knack, which hand will ye tak (Scots for Take)?" I first heard it from a fiddler friend, I think. The rhythm of the first phrase certainly fits the first four words perfectly. Glad you have now identified Staten Island too. It is a regular at sessions, as you say, Bertram.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Lovely. Simon, that is cool how you do that. And John, two great tunes - really go well together.
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Simon and John: Two different but nonetheless nice versions of the same tune! And John added Staten Island Hornpipe as an extra tune...
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice playing here! I posted the Staten Island hornpipe quite recently as part of a set with Hut on Staffin Island and Spootiskerry. It goes well with Davy Davy Knick Knack as well.