A já taká čarná (Slovakian folk song)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a folk song from Slovakia, arranged for mandolins by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni from the third volume (2018) of her "Big Book For Mandolins".

I have recorded the tune on my Gibson, with overdubbed accompaniment on second mandolin and tenor guitar and mandocello.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Another nice recording. Thanks, Martin.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautiful tune Martin, and well played, I seem to have missed this. Will have to add it to that long list…
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Martin always has nice ideas for tunes, and plays them well, fine delivey Martin. I also wanted to record this tune and searched for A já taká čarná .
    The screen also showed Noty.they where different treatments of this song. I put together what I liked most and searched for some Youtube clips. One was by André Rieu, and a comment said, that the song isn't Slovakian but Ukrainian for example the version of Raissa Kirichenko. Being a fan of kyrillic charakters, I played my version in Ukrainian:
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Simon and Christian. The credit for discovering the tune goes to Evelyn, not me. This one is in our group repertoire and works very nicely for our configuration so we play it fairly often.

Christian: lovely recording. It's nice and melancholy at that slower tempo.

Martin
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Like Simon, I seem to have missed you recording, Martin. A lovely tune and arrangement and played with your usual fine touch.
    Christian, your version is equally appealing and once again shows how different can be our interpretations of a tune, each player adding something personal to the delivery.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian, I like your slower take very much.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Two very different and well played interpretations ! To me, Martins sounded a little more upbeat, like I would expect from this type of song. Christians was melancholic, as Martin observed and played with a softness that was kinda the way I would have played it. If I thought of it. So you know I liked that!