Week #527 ~ Dusty Miller

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, we had more votes in this poll, than we've had in a while!

This week's winner is Dusty Miller. When doing a search for it, I find that it is a slip jig also known as Benny’s Jig, The Dusty Millar, Johnny Docherty’s, Top The Candle.... Here's a link to notation on the session.org, and here's another from the same site!

However, there also seems to be a bluegrass tune with the same name.

Here's some notation and abc of the bluegrass tune

Oh, but look, here's a video of Bill Monroe doing a tune called Dusty Miller!

And Doc Hamilton

So, it appears we have a winner that should appeal to whichever kind of music you like... IT or BG! Take your pick!
  2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I'm going to cheat and post of video I made way back in 2012 . Playing a Kentucky KM900 mando that's long gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXN_pqbvl6U

3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m going to cheat and paste a comment that I wrote back in 2012.
    -no not really !

Thanks Don, great playing there, and now I want to learn it.
    But gives me a problem because I’ve just printed out and gone through the two part version, which is different.
    Hmmmm.
  4. Brian560
    Brian560

Nice playing Don. I had a version ready, but decided to play again but a little faster
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Getting some nice solid, smooth playing there Brian, well done.

Sometimes when I get a new tune I put a small pencil cross above every first and fifth note (8th notes) of the measure and then play those notes a LOT louder (just as an exercise) and then later I’ll change, put the crosses on every third and seventh of the eighth notes, a bit like rock, see what that sounds like.
    Ha, ha, hope that sense.
    Oh another is to take the whole tune and play it swing with the metronome set to 6/8 time.
  6. Brian560
    Brian560
    Thanks Simon . My sheet music does have arrows penciled in for accents! I also do a lot of variations as I work with a tune, including swing and a large variety of picking patterns. This one was recorded spontaneously to try and pick up speed a bit. I think I should have tried to use only down strokes on the section that occurs on the first string. That would have given me the volume.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I don’t know if you know but I’m one of the SAW pick direction fanatics! (There are others)
    I get very uneasy if I have to up-pick odd numbered 8ths or down-pick even ones.
    -or even if I have to consider the options!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thought may as well at least record the version that I’m not going to post...
  9. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice version of the tune Simon, especially since it isn't being posted. Compliments on the camera angle. It is instructive to see the fretting and picking and those videos are not the easiest to make.
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Here's a fresh version of this. I used to play it back in the days when Don G. had a Kentucky! This is the three-part version; it's sometimes done as just A and B.

11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    This are some fine versions. I really enjoy listening the experienced bluegrass players. But I stick to the sheet music provided by The Session. Needs some time anyway…
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Brian, aaah, go for it Frithjof, whatever version, quality doesn’t matter as long as we’re all in it together!
    Barbara and the others will post soon, you’ll see.

I’m working on the Bluegrass version too.
  13. Brian560
    Brian560
    Superb playing Mike. I also enjoyed the video
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great, Mike! Good thing you didn't get off your Duff after all.

Brian and Simon, thanks for the other version of this tune. Sounds to me like the only way they are related are by the name.

Frithjof, join in the fun!
  15. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Yeah, there needs to be a word of explanation. Well, there probably doesn't need to be one, but just by way of clarification. Some of us know the Monroe version, which is like from Planet Mars (the good Planet Mars, of course). And then there's the ITRAD version. I'm not sure how or if they're related. The poll didn't cite a version so I figured whatever. ... Don: Did I tell you the story of the guy who called me out of the blue insisting I sell him the Duff, then PayPal'd me the money, then decided he wouldn't like the neck and asked for the money back-- all between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. one Sunday night. Aye yi yi! ... She has those big gold EVO frets, thanks to Mr. Ludwig. My favorite mandolin, actually.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That’s some nice playing, Mike.
    Don, do you have the tab for this version? With Bluegrass I find there are too many notes to write down by ear.

So Ladies and Gents, who’s up next?
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I got tired of working on tunes I could never play well and learned this one to help me focus. I love slip jigs because they never really end, they are the Energizer Bunny of tunes and this one is no exception. Played on too many double course instruments and a honking squeezebox on my deck on a cloudy day.

18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David is a twin ! Wow, what an amazing performance. Beautiful sound and arrangement. I mentioned once that Simon was an Energizer Bunny and he had no idea what that was. So I guess it's a North American thing...then again I think Simon lives a sheltered life in the woods and streams. I think we should vote and all have a Mandolin Cafe reunion and I suggest it be at David's house in 2021. Or at least a 'union' since we haven't actually met yet.
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, always enjoy your fine playing.

Simon, here's a bunch of versions in TablEdit. I'd recommend the Monroe, Compton, and McCoury versions. http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=
  20. Brian560
    Brian560
    David, that is an excellent performance. I Especially like the addition of the Concertina.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    David - your version sounds great and is very inspiring for me.
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely atmospheric playing David, I really like the concertina too. Looks like you live out in the woods and streams.

Thanks Don, I think I’ll have a go at this version too.
  23. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Wish you could upload files directly here! I put Compton's transcription on my Facebook page, after converting it from PDF to JPG, because FB doesn't like PDFs. Anyway, you're welcome to grab it there.
  24. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Or email me @ mgromkey@gmail.com and I'll send you the PDF.
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Mike, I’ll have a look.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hurry up Dennis! (Sunset over Ayr)
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another Hansen gem, and more Hansens for the price of one in this one!
  28. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Two absolutely awesome versions by Mike and David there! When I grow up, I want to sound like you.

Honestly, the Energizer bunny had me stumped as well. I know the Duracell bunny. Both are brands of batteries. I'm very confused now.
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Here comes my slip jig version:

30. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice triplets and what a wonderful warm tone from your playing.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay, nice one Frithjof! Join the party.
    That’s some mandolin too.
  32. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great tone, Frithjof! As Simon says, you have the most recognisable mandolin around here!
  33. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice playing Frithjof
  34. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is an attempt at the Dusty Miller. Life has thrown me some change ups and some major curve balls the last couple of years which has really hindered my play time. With that said , I am calling my version "RUSTY Miller" LOL!!
    The Monroe Style shuffle that Compton uses is a tough cookie to crumble. I was a little stiff with it here, but its getting better by the day.
    Loving the videos of everyone sharing their versions. The jig style of this tune are so cool. Great job folks.
  35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hey Timothy, great to hear from you again. If I could ever play this “rusty” … Great picking anyway!
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very determined picking there Sasquatch, certainly not rusty. Well done.

Frithjof what sort of mandolin is that? And I cant see so well with my mobile -I was going to say is that a horse? Ha, ha. But it’s probably a lion or a tiger on the headstock.
    I’ve been working on this as BG but I guess I need to write the tab out by hand and include only the melody notes. I get confused with which ones to give accent and which ones are double stops.

Well I went sleepingbag, v light weight camping last night, stargazing in the hills. Woke up to two wild boar (I was on their trail) and those guys are BIG when you’re on the ground!
    Today I’m out here in the dark sitting on a park bench at 5:45 am.
    No people doing cars, it’s all quiet and that wonderful glow in the sky, the sun rises in about 20 minutes.
    Reminds me of California. During these hot summers this is the best time!

Wishing you all a beautiful, peace and love day!
  37. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon – I made an album with the story and pictures of my mandolin. You may zoom the images to have a closer look to the headstock.
  38. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    These are all excellent Dusty Millers. Simon, do people confuse you with being homeless? sleeping with wild boars and sitting on a park bench at dawn?
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I want one of those instruments Frithjof!
    You know the statues of women that they used to have on the old sailing ships?

On my new mandola I want a nice statue of a woman, then I could imagine women posting tune vids on Song a Week!

Ginny! so good of you to join us!
    Looking forward to hearing you guys, and maybe a comment from the Irish woman who’s reading this.
  40. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I was sure there are some bluegrass versions of Dusty Miller by SAW pickers in my memory. Then I was distracted by working on my IT version.
    Today a checked the Table of Contents ~ Other Tunes. There it is …

I missed some names of bluegrass pickers as well as of well known IT players. I hope the are recording just in this moment and post their vids soon.

Please!
  41. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I just played Dusty Miller in 6/8 AND Bluegrass style!
    Sounds cool with the doublestops added on every 1st and 4th eighth note.
    Stompin’ rhythm!

That’s it, I’m half way to playing Bluegrass!

Chris Thile, Sam Bush and Molly Tuttle are going to post their entries before the end of the week, you’ll see.
  42. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The list of Tunes of the Week is amazing. Not only can you see what's been done, but you can go to the page just by clicking on the link. I saw Dusty Miller and noticed that there are two versions. One in an Irish traditional way, the other is the bluegrass style. I've played this tune for years so here it is in a driving, bluegrass kind of way.

This is the same as the previous version I posted on Other tunes, I just remixed it and changed something about the backup guitar that has always bothered me. If you want to see me actually play my mandolin look for it there.
  43. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Yea! Just like that!
  44. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    First rate playing, Michael. You really get that tune driving hard here. Backing is excellent. Your return to the SAW group is such a boost to us all.
  45. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That was geat, Michael!
  46. bbcee
    bbcee
    What an enjoyable, lively thread - great versions all!
  47. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Michael, can you please bump that earlier thread? Or tell me where it is? I can't find it.
  48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing Michael, I’m trying to get the Bluegrass version now… it’s not so easy.