Behind the Bush in the Garden (Wha’ll be King but Charlie)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    For this occasion I thought a bit of melodica would go nicely.
    -though I don’t actually play the melodica!

https://youtu.be/I7-lNpDjXNY
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great Jacobite song there, Simon. There are lyrics (have a look for the version by The Corries folk duo) extolling the virtues of Bonnie Prince Charlie (Charles Edward Stuart) as he tried to take the British throne back in 1745. He and his army got as far as Derby on their way south, gaining several victories before returning to Scotland and fighting their last battle on the field of Culloden Moor outside Inverness in 1746, where they were defeated by King George's son, the Duke of Cumberland, whose savage retribution after the battle earned him the unenviable nickname "The Butcher Cumberland".

The Jacobite cause is the source of so many well-known Scottish songs and tunes, including The Skye Boat Song and Loch Lomond! Your version, in driving jig time, is an interesting instrumental take on the tune/song, and played with your usual fluid picking.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    With your solid octave and guitar playing you have every right to some experiments, Simon. And I like the result.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John I actually always felt sorry for the man, he had so many good intentions. I really like this tune with it’s gentle, marching, joyful optimism, and subtle shades of melancholy.

But I thought this tune was about the King, Sam Bush, the mandolinist!

Thank you Mr Frithjof.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I just happen to think it's really well played - and also gentle, joyful,optimistic and with shades of melancholy. John, our resident historian, we are lucky to have him here to straighten us out. I, personally watch Outlander !! for my history.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You caught the spirit well, Simon. A few drum rolls would do, just to add more defiance.
    There is another older discussion on Bonnie Prince Cherlie, too.

Ginny, just stay away from standing stones
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny and Bertram, I was wondering if anyone thought it sounded like the river up at John’s place? -I’ve found this happens if I put too many layers into the tune. Will try drums next time. And that melodica is a bit of a mouthful, I’m not used to trying to play music like that!
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    What about combining the melodica with an uilleann pipe?!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Apparently party balloons is the way to go. If you have 8 inflated balloons on a length of tubing in series attached to the melodica with an airbed foot pump, then you can probably play the device for 5 minutes without pumping, assuming you don’t use a lot of air hungry chords.
    Plenty long enough for a set and the colourful balloons are pretty.

-That reminds me, where’s Dennis now? Not still stuck in cheese and garlic-land I hope.

I’m thinking that an airbed itself pumped up will probably keep the melodica going for a couple of days, and you can relax on it, floating on a river perhaps, while recording your next vid.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your picking is almost as fluid as Sam's. But he doesn't play the melodica!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian, though actually I play a lot better than Sam Bush.
    I’ve played my trusty octave mandolin for eighteen months now.
    Bah! When little Sammy was 3 years old he couldn’t even play more than a handful of nursery rhymes.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I liked the melodica - this group's trendy instrument of 2020, surely. But that's not to take away from the beautiful octave mandola picking, which works well as usual. I read John's explanation of the historical background while listening to your soundtrack, and it all fits perfectly.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattle_and_daub

The best tune titles please everyone Dennis.