The Parson's Farewell to Lady Cullen

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is a collaboration between David Hansen and me - with many thanks to David for his generosity!

A few years ago, David had a video on YouTube of The Parson's Farewell and My Lady Cullen - two English tunes from the Playford collection, nicely combined as a set. I remember this video from when I was learning the first of those tunes. (I also recorded a video, but I think I posted it in the Newbies group at the time - in any case, I can't find an existing thread on these tunes in this group here.)

The video isn't up any more, which David confirmed when I contacted him about it. But he still had his recording, and to my delight he offered to send it to me to save me the trouble of recording a backing track. In the process, I got the best backing band in the world - David's arrangements are well known and loved around here, so no need to say more.

I feel slightly selfish to replace David's beautiful Sobell mandolin with my own inferior picking, but this has certainly helped me re-learn these lovely tunes. Playing mandolin alongside David's concertina is certainly one of the highlights of my mandolin career so far. I hope you enjoy the music!
  2. Brian560
    Brian560
    Everything in this fits perfectly together. Welcome back Dennis
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautifully played Dennis, and nice to have you back.
    I enjoy reading you too.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    What a great combination, Dennis and David. David helped me out many years ago with some music notation, I'll never forget that.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great collaboration, Dennis, and good to see you back after your absence.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, where is my head?
    Sorry John, I was just too excited that Dennis is back with us again. Your fine playing too.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Oh, Simon. It looks like you are not only “a bit distracted at the moment because I’m going to be a grandad, again!” (stated in another thread) but also a little confused at the moment.
    Now I fear about my composition in December this year when I’m going to be a grandad, again!

Dennis, you played the mandolin very well. To play to the backing track of the David Hansen Band is certainly a thrill. Thanks to both of you for this nice recording.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, Yes I meant David. Sorry David and John and Dennis.
    I have to get out to the woods before the end of the week, get some fresh air.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great collaboration and nice to have you back Dennis!
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The mandolin complements the concertina very well, highlighting and amplifying its character by the percussive element it usually hasn't.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is nice, Simon. Is this Farewell to your trees. I am still sad to see them felled.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, no problem, every year the corn gets harvested, every 56 years the trees are harvested… you could think of it like that?

-I lived in a forest for three years one time. Never again!
    I still love trees, ha, ha, but it’s not worth getting sad about.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A lively and light piece of playing, Simon, and such a different feel from the version Dennis posted at the start of the thread where he has added his mandolin to David's backing tracks. Your solo version presents a distinctly sunny aspect to suit your location.

Funnily enough I was up among piles of larch logs just a few days ago which are having to be felled because of dieback disease (Phytophthora ramorum). The timber is quite useable in spite of the disease and is being harvested in large areas around my home. One drawback for those of us who like to be in the hills is the amount of brash (the trimmed-off branches) that is left behind nowadays and makes access to the hill that much more difficult.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You found a lovely, sunny place for your recording, Simon. And your playing of the tune turned out very well together with the wooden drum!
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John and Frithjof, I like this tune light and happy.

Perhaps it’s an historical misconception John.
    This is not a sad tune. What if the farewell from the Lady Cullen’s perspective, at least in the short term, was a pleasure?
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well, in your recording the Lady Cullen is no longer there. What are we to read into the Parson's Farewell becoming so much merrier after her departure?

Nice recording, Simon! Seeing and hearing you play your octave mandola in the outdoors is always a pleasure.
  18. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Second video of you sitting on a felled tree in the sunshine, I see today, I hope you applied some sunscreen.
    Fine plaving as always!