Week #532 ~ Hole in the Wall

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Hole in the Wall. Sorry for the delay in posting! I know everyone is itching to get to it, and I'm rushing to head off for a camping trip, so I will let some of our members post links to notation and video!
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Henry Purcell (1695): Abdelazer Suite
    8. Hornpipe ("Hole In The Wall")
    Arranged by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

This hornpipe was written by Purcell as part of a suite of incidental music for the play "Abdelazer", most famous for the Rondeau. The hornpipe was taken up almost immediately by folk and dance musicians and only three years after its premiere appeared in the ninth edition of Playford's "Dancing Master" in 1698 under the name "The Hole In The Wall". Under this title, it has remained a popular session tune for over three centuries ever since.

I have played the tune in a setting by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, using two mandolins, mandocello and tenor guitar. We play this setting with our group.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

For a Hollywood treatment of the tune, here it is in a dance scene from the movie "Becoming Jane" with Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen:

Martin
  3. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Great playing Martin and a lovely arrangement.

Here's my solo mandolin version taken from Playford's "Dancing Master".

4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice solo mandolin playing, Callum.

It's the first day of double week #532. Now you have plenty of time to add second mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar to follow Martin. Or wait which instruments David will chose out of his arsenal.

But I myself have to start learning the melody first.
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two very fine versions of this Purcell Hornpipe. Martin with a multi-string arrangement and Callum on solo mandolin.
    Now I have to to look for a sheet music version including chord symbols.
  6. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Thanks Frithjof! I lost track of what week it was I'll try find and record a nice harmony part!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine versions, both of you.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Your video won't play, Mike.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Mike: If you're embedding the video using the [YOUTUBE] tags, you need to paste only the part of the URL that is after the "=" sign. In your case that's "ghJIzjO0J4A".

This should work:

Very nice playing, Mike!

Martin
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Sorry for the error.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    These are all so nice. I enjoyed them all.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Mike.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another nice version of this beautiful tune, Mike,
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very clean playing, Mike. I especially like the second run where you throw in some double stops and chords.
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I don't have much time at the moment for SAW challenges, but I really like this tune.
    So I played just one minute of "Hole in the Wall".
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a lovely recording, Christian. Lovely balance between your two instruments.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your rendition, Christian.
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Christian. Here's my attempt, it's sounds simple but it's not or at least for me it wasn't. I tried to play a harmony part but I s%$K at that so I stayed in my own wheelhouse. With tenor guitar GDAE, guitar, concertina, cello & bass.

19. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's not an easy tune to play, which is why I probably won't manage this one. But I think your version sounds great as usual. I always look forward to those arrangements around the concertina.

The other renditions in this thread are a joy, too. You all did really well to get this melody under the fingers.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    With all your accompaniment instruments I don't miss the harmony part in your arrangement, David. Beautiful and faithful as ever.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine performance, David.
  22. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    They are all excellent. I'm with Dennis, maybe another day...for me anyway.
  23. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great, colourful version, David!
  24. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Nice performances Mike, Christian and David and good to hear it played in a variety of different instrumentations.