The Fair Haired Canavans (Na Ceannabháin Bhána)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ****** Ooooops! Is there any way to include, ‘Na Ceannabháin Bhána’, THE ORIGINAL TITLE in the heading? *******

https://youtu.be/I24xbkzSLXE

Here’s the TAB/standard notation, and even a lesson from Baron.
    How cool is that?!
    https://www.mandolessons.com/lessons...aired-canavans
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, your playing of that jig has a real Irish feel to it. Well done!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’ve been on triplets for the last week John.

-the tune itself is from Baron’s site, mandolessons.com but I couldn’t find it on TheSession site.
    And it’s another of those tunes where I’m wondering about the title, couldn’t find any more history on it.
  4. Alcluith
    Alcluith
    Simon

if you look in The Session under "Na Ceannabhain Bhana" you can find the tune and a bit about it's history. Lovely Jig and two great visions. As John said a real Irish feel to it.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Alcuith I made additions to the title at least on the Youtube vid, it is a cracking tune.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great jig playing, Simon.
    I’m happy you found a new location for outdoor recording in autumn. Looks great!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof and it’s not so cold yet.
    That wall behind me is pretty old, damaged in parts. Big changes now though, there are a lot more trails in the woods (Covid).
    Many more cyclists about too.

Will try some more locations soon.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love the song, have played this song and I especially like the stone wall mimicking the Irish dry stone walls that form part of the country's landscape. But I'm sure Simon was aware of this and chose that location because of it. But Simon has motorcycle gangs invading his quiet space, in Ireland you have to watch for the sheep, apparently.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It was simply the acoustics on a windy Sunday, Ginny
    And I couldn’t play anywhere further into the woods for fear of being shot at again.

Hey, when are we going to see Ginny playing a tune in the garden? -it doesn’t snow all the time in Canada.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Simon, great tune that!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Jill. And thanks for the motivation.

Hey, I imagine on your farm you’ve already built some nice stone seats in front of a wall in the warm autumn sunshine where you can have your breakfast and share a couple of tunes?
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Oh, we're not getting a lot of warm autumn sunshine here, but there was already a wee bench built into one of the dry stone walls right behind the house, and also a giant stone that's flat and seat height in front of the outbuildings - there'll be great playing there when Springtime/Summer roll round next year!
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice tune, great playing and a solid stony background.
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Good playing and a good video, Simon! I'm just listening to this again because I enjoy it so much. I learnt this slip jig only a short while ago, but I think I've forgotten how to play it!
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys, yes Dennis, I like this one because the building blocks are commonly used patterns, except for one, and some of the repeated pick movements (outside string/outside string) lend to a driving dance rhythm.