I'm New!

1. kriskane
    kriskane
    Hey!

Just joined the cafe and just got a mandolin last month(ish?) (I got a The Loar F-Style) I'm trying my best to learn using just the internet and what I can find. Mandolessons is the best, right? I'm trying to find some people to keep me motivated. I have multiple string instruments that I've played for like a month, two months and then put it on the wall, in the bag and move on to something else, so I definitely need other people who are around the same level that will be keep me going (or maybe shame me if I stop, lol.)

I created a blog (http://strumpluck.com if you wanna check it out!) that I hope that will help me keep going, but I know having friends who are learning too would definitely be a plus.
  2. Gus & Sophie
    Gus & Sophie
    Can you read music? If not Tabs are easy. Most everything you need is on the web. Try playing slow simple songs . Happy birthday etc. Play the scales so your fingers get formilur with the fret board.
    Hang in there you will be get better quickly if you practice every day. Practice for 20 min. go away come back in 20 min do it again for 20 min. It works!
  3. kriskane
    kriskane
    I used to read music when I was in high school and I'm trying to get back into it. I've been practicing for an hour or so a day (give or take a few days due to illness, holidays and such). So far, I can play C, D, G, A Minor, E Minor, and F chords and am learning scales. Started learning about the circle of fifths today. Trying to learn theory without overwhelming myself with it.
  4. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Welcome Kriskane. This is the place that you want to be. Make sure you ask us all a lot of questions, even with this "dated" style of social media, we are more then happy to help out. I started out 4 years ago and I'm just starting to figure this out, but don't let that be a negative. It's amazing to experience the transformation of your playing ablitiy, so don't give up.

Mandolessons is awesome, Baron is amazing and is so helpful. Don't rush this, time and patience is so important. Work on scales and understanding how to move those scales will help you so much in the long run. Practice, practice, practice is so important. I first committed to 10 minutes a day to practice. Helped with my fingers getting use to it and just playing. I now play close to a hour a two a day, because I enjoy it so much. So Practice!!
    Use Mandolessons.com, Mandolin for Dummies (Don Julin) and (Bradley Laird) bradleylaird.com. These are amazing sites and are mostly free and super helpful for beginners.
    Start working on the tune of the month that Hank hostess. Make sure you post a video because, first, everyone will appreciate it and will support you. NO one will be negative here so don't be afraid to post them. It also will help you be motivated and practice so you can post you video.
    Don't be afraid to post and ask questions, everyone is in the same boat.

Cheers
    Otto
  5. Swimbob
    Swimbob
    Hi Kriskane!

I agree with everything Otto said. I started playing at about the same time he did and joined the cafe at about the same time. I don't have the technological know-how to post videos but I've seen his stuff and watching him improve over the last four years has been very rewarding.

Don't be afraid to reach out into your community for a teacher. I found a young guy in my area and not only has he taught me a lot, I also got a great new friend out of the deal.

Remember, there are no dumb questions. We all asked them so we should be able to answer many of them.

Welcome to the Newbies group and welcome to the world of an exciting little instrument.

Jim
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hi, KrisKane, welcome to the group of actual Newbies who post! I just now checked out your blog and it looks like you are well underway on the mandolin journey. I was hooked as soon as I saw mando banner image. Good job on the website; do keep us up to date on your progress!
  7. kriskane
    kriskane
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

I have used a few of the mandolin for dummies things that I've found while googling, but haven't checked out Bradley Laird, so I will do that this week. I have definitely been practicing a lot, but my fingers/calluses are still trying to catch up to the amount I wanna play, so I've been doing a lot of music theory things when it hurts to much to play.
  8. Lufbery
    Lufbery
    Welcome! I'm just starting out too. I started in August with a mandolin I inherited from my father. I got it professionally set up in October after playing it for a few months and I've been working through playing a number of chords. Mandolessons.com is great!

I just received, as a 47th birthday present (my birthday is 12/29), Bradley Laird's Mandolin Treasure Chest. Which, if I understand things correctly, are all of his video lessons and lesson books that are available for download. The cost was great, especially with the discount code that's available in another of his publications. I just downloaded everything and I can't wait to dig in.

Mr. Laird posts on this forum from time to time and his posts are always a pleasure to read.
  9. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome to the Cafe and Newbie's group, Kriskane. I enjoy playing mandolin, but it is difficult for me to keep myself motivated. I keep trying though!
  10. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Thanks Swimbob, that's very kind. Maybe one day we'll all get together and play.

SOMorris, keep it up, do 10 minutes a day. It's the best way to start.
  11. kriskane
    kriskane
    @SOMorris That's my biggest thing too. I've started guitar, uke and bass over the years and havent been able to stick with any of them because I lose motivation.
  12. Swimbob
    Swimbob
    Otto, think nothing of it.

I wish I had started recording myself early on to see how much I've improved but I also wish I had a better grasp on technology so you all can see me growing with you. I still try to learn most of the tunes of the month but many of them just don't grab me.

Happy new year every one!