The Leaving Of Liverpool

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is another well-known song to go with the pub singalong standards I have recently recorded.

This is a traditional ballad, also sung as a sea shanty, dating from the second half of the 19th century. It is now mostly known from the repertoire of Irish ballad bands (both the Clancys and the Dubliners had hit versions). It's particularly poignant for me as I work in the shipping industry in Liverpool (at least when offices are open) and one of my ex-seafaring colleagues, now sadly no longer with us, tended to break into sea shanties after a few pints, this being one of his favourites.

My mandolin/tenor guitar instrumental version is based on this setting by Klaus Stezenbach:

http://www.kstez.de/Leaving_Of_Liver..._Engl-USA_.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Definitely a classic, Martin! My wife heard you play it and is now asking me to learn it. I've heard it at many singalongs and on several recordings, but never learnt to play it.

It's also interesting to read where you work. Having seen your recent photo of where you live, I think I'd also pay the price of the commute for that arrangement!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis -- apologies to add to your learning pile. Obviously, you now have no choice in that matter...

It's actually a fairly straightforward commute. The Welsh border is closer to Liverpool than you might think. In my case, it's 23 miles door-to-door from my house to our office in the very centre of Liverpool, which on a good day takes about 45 minutes. Of course, that's rather theoretical at the moment as I have been to the office exactly once since March.

Martin
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your straightforward arrangement of this song sounds mighty fine, Martin and thanks for the link to www.kstez.de.
    I have bookmarked this collection, and if I find the time will also play a song from it.
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    And here's my version of that song:
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Both very fine renditions, Martin and Christian.