Prepping For an Incoming Stadium/Strad

1. tnsetters
    tnsetters
    I'm not sure how many of y'all saw it listed, but I ended up buying the late Lee Gwen's (man_dough's) Stadium from his nephew and would love a bit of advice on how best to take care of it. I've been interested in the mandolin for years, have read posts here off and on, and after picking back up the guitar recently I finally decided to get one. This seemed like a great choice, especially for my budget, and I appreciate that I know at least a bit of the history behind it.

All that said, I don't plan on doing a full-blown refinish or anything, but I'd like to do what I can to clean it up and keep the finish in as good a shape as possible. I've gathered it's lacquer over paint; any specific does or don't besides an occassional damp rag? I'm also undecided on strings, although I'm planning to go with either GHS or D'addario. I'm leaning towards splitting the difference and getting either A260s or EJ73s, but would going up to medium or down to light be better? I don't want to stress the instrument, but I also don't want to swing too far the other direction. Tweaking the bridge, short of removing any material, I'm happy to take on and seems to come with the territory. Thanks y'all; it's good to be here.
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    So did you get it yet?
    I have GHS A250 on my Strad-O-Lin on the advice of my luthier, and it sounds great.
  3. tnsetters
    tnsetters
    Yes! It came over the weekend, and I ended up ordering some A260s. From digging around old threads it looks like it probably had J74s on it in the past. I haven't put the new strings on yet unfortunately, but I'm loving it so far.
  4. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I think I did see the listing (I like to look at the different Strad-O-Lins cause I love mine so much) but I forget the details. Please post some pictures!

Have you seen this video of Jerry Rosa cleaning up an old Strad-O-Lin? Great video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHwJBAhZ9w