goood deal for a weber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I just saw this MC ad: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/167691#167691 . A great deal for anyone looking to "move up". I have no financial interest. But I do like Webers and this is a very attractive price.
  2. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Aaaannnnd, it's gone!
  3. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    That's a good price. I really want to play some Webers and other instruments in that range (not an oval hole, however). Stupid pandemic.
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I saw that and wondered if I should spring for it. Just as well. I'm looking to upgrade, but need to try at least a few first.
  5. NDO
    NDO
    I was wondering if you might have jumped on that deal Sherry. At that price you could hardly go wrong and could have pretty easily sold it if it wasn’t a good fit.
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Don, my problem is I don't know a good price from a bad one.☹
  7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    That Eastman that just came on is a nice looking oval. At $575 I feel wouldn't be much of a move up. Guess I could offer more. Lol
  8. NDO
    NDO
    Lol
    A new one of those is $769 at TMS. I do love my MD605 but have never heard one of their ovals.
  9. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    So I guess it would be a move up from my Alvarez A-100 (listed on Elderly's site at $150, but sold out). There's an Eastman dealer not far from me. The only oval A it has at present is an electric instrument (MD604).
  10. NDO
    NDO
    You should try out the 604 to see if you like the feel and sound of the 604. It should be dimensionally identical to the 504 with the addition of the K&K pickup.
  11. NDO
    NDO
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I like it - and could even drive to Austin! Maybe Friday if it's still available. Good price?
  13. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Yes. $1100 on the other one was a steal.
  14. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I asked for more pics.
  15. NDO
    NDO
    A little closer than Nashville
  16. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yes and there may be other places to look in Austin. I'm beginning to be somewhat overwhelmed by the search. Wish I could just spring for the Gallatin and be done with it.
  17. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Sherry, IMHO you are overthinking this.

Do it!

It's a cool looking mandolin of a popular brand, not much more than a third of your budget and a few people have said you can't go wrong with reselling later.

Friday's a long ways away; the other one went pretty fast and I've seen this instrument discussed in couple of the threads now. If you're really interested, I'd try not to sound too equivocal when you talk to them. I've lost stuff on craigslist by being too tenuous. Get that appointment made! You want them to say to other people, "I've got someone who wants it; I'll get back to you if it falls through."
  18. NDO
    NDO
    I’m with Sue. If I was looking for an oval that thing would have been in my hands already.
  19. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    And no shipping needed.
  20. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sherry, I just saw this. It looks to be in beautiful shape. I don't know how you would like the neck, but the tone on these is amazing. Buy it and the Weber and you will be set for life!
  21. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Sue, I'm a master (mistress???) at overthinking. Probably even borderline OCD. Lol

The seller has sent me pictures, so no one has jumped on it yet.

For those of you encouraging me, I wonder if you're just tired of my obsessive posts. Hmm.
  22. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    That one's a beauty, Louise. I think I'll start with the Weber, though.
  23. NDO
    NDO
    Haha I love your posts Sherry, you post all sorts of questions I hadn’t thought to ask, but very much want to see the answers to!
  24. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Nah, I just think it's great to be able to go see it and not have it shipped. I like the idea of the road trip, too, though I myself would be kind of intimidated going in one of those top tier stores. Also, I think you may often get a better price from a private seller.
  25. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I love your posts, too, BTW. For the same reason
  26. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    OK. I promise to keep the posts coming, since I'm on a roll. Lol

I've just told the guy I want the Weber. If I don't like it, I'm coming after you guys! Seriously, I'll just try to sell it myself if that happens. In the meantime I'll have all the time I need to try it out. I decided not to haggle on price, as I didn't want to take the chance of losing it for a couple hundred bucks.
  27. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yay! Good job being decisive! Are you going up Friday?
  28. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Haven't heard back from him. I usually try to work on Fridays, but my husband will want to jump in the RV and make a road trip of it. Consequently, if the deal goes through, Friday is a definite possibility.
  29. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations! NMD road trip sounds super fun!
    And if it needs adjusting you could always plan a Montana road trip in the summer to have Bruce and Mary tweak it for you
  30. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I don't know Bruce and Mary, but my son lives in Missoula.
  31. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    The Weber Gallatin is off the market (to me). Fingers crossed.
  32. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    You are gonna love it. Congratulations!
  33. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yay! I've been wondering about this all afternoon! ROAD TRIP !!!
  34. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yep, Sue! Wish it were a girls' trip!
  35. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations on your new Weber Sherry! I can’t wait to hear it and hear how you like it.
  36. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yeah, I wish I could go on a road trip like that! Let me tell you, there'd be a lot of not so perfect but fun pickin involved
  37. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yes there would!
  38. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    This is great, Sherry. I hope it's everything you are hoping for. These days, I would take any road trip, just to see something besides the house or the office. Enjoy the getaway.
  39. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Just picked up the Weber! Next to play it!
  40. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Yay, Sherry!

Full report, please.
  41. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I love the look of it. It's in great shape, as is the case. He has light strings on it, which I won't change immediately, but I don't see any reason not to change to medium (right?).

The trip to Austin in an RV was tough, so my husband and I are exhausted. Consequently, I played for only about 5 minutes tonight. Love the sound, except there seems to be a sort of ringing that continues into the subsequent note. I didn't notice it when the seller played for a few minutes.
  42. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations Sherry! I’m so excited to hear it and see it!
  43. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yes, very excited for you! How does it feel in the hand and under the fingers?
  44. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Calling Sherry ... Report in, please ...
  45. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    We're dying to know if it's three-o goood!
  46. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Maybe she loves playing it so much she can't put it down even to log into the Cafe
  47. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    You guys! Lol

Unfortunately, my husband isn't as excited about this purchase like the rest of us. Will say more later
  48. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Haven't opened the case since 5 minutes last night. Hopefully, I'll have a full report by tonight.
  49. NDO
    NDO
    That’s just wrong!!

Of course my wife is less than enthused with my musical efforts so I can sort of understand. But my kids seem to appreciate it
  50. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I'm officially in love! The Weber far exceeds my expectations. I don't know much about tone, but I do know I love the sound of this instrument. The seller gave me a really cool strap. It needs some sort of string at the ends. What do you suggest? (Henry, you may have made a suggestion in response to a thread in the Forum. I'll take a look.) I'll have to wait to post a pic until I get home and can refer to my notes from Henry's instructions from long ago.

Many thanks for all the Newbie support!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast