Molly Malone

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    It seems, this Irish song was never played in the SAW group.
    Two weeks ago, I recorded a more Italian version with lots of tremolo:

But yesterday I used it to practice the rest stroke and the third position:

Well, maybe I should practice some third position studies instead of boring you with these songs..
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I like the second one better, Christian. Less Italian, more of that Irish fatalism. And that Dublin statue, that is constantly being polished in the same places.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like both versions, Christian but prefer the second one with the change in octave. I do not hear any difference with the use of rest strokes, but there is nice fluid phrasing in your higher octave. Maybe the change of key from A to G for your second version is colouring my listening? I like the guitar chords on this one.
    Poor od Molly - her statue in known locally in Dublin as "The Tart with the Cart"!
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    CC.... When I could visit my father (pre-Covid) we often sang together as he looses his ability to speak but retains his ability to sing songs from the old days. Molly Malone is one of his favourites and he can be heard bellowing Alive, Alive, OO down the halls of his residence. Thank you a very nice performance.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, when I heard your versions here I just sat and played along with them; then I got the idea of making a set of Irish songs as a solo mandolin effort. Mandolin only on this one, with double stops used to enrich the playing, It was fun just to sit and play the three tunes one after the other with the double stops and not to have to sync other tracks for backing or harmonies and not to have any notation to read. Even managed a key change from G to D. Good to get back to basics sometimes.

The songs are Molly Malone, The Meeting of the Waters (which has beautiful lyrics by Thomas Moore extolling the beauties of the Vale of Avoca) and The Mountains of Mourne (which my older daughter used to sing with her grandpa when she about 3), then finishing with a return to Molly. The only post-recording addition to the set was the fade at the end.

6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine solo mandolin arrangements John! I don't miss a backup guitar.
  7. Brian560
    Brian560
    This is a nice thread ! If a poll were to be taken for Christians two versions I think I would side with the one with the tremolo as it is played so well throughout. John's I like because it is a perfectly played solo and a seamless blending of tunes. I'm also a fan of the pictures.
  8. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed both versions!
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It is particularly nice to hear a mandolin, unaccompanied, to hear the instrument in it's true form. Three good songs to chose too, John.