Another good deal on a Weber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    After Sherry's great deal, I thought I would post this one here too. I usually see these go between 2300-3000. This does have some wear on it, so you would have to decide how much that bothers you. It is being sold by Bruce, so you can assume he has given it a once-over or a twice-over.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/168350#168350
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I saw that this morning. If I wanted an F style mando, I'd be looking at it. Especially as it is being sold by Bruce.
    But I really can't have any more instruments until I get better with the ones I have.....
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I saw it also. What I can't figure out, especially since I never looked at the classifieds before you guys encouraged me to look at the Weber, is why I'm still looking at the classifieds after I bought it!
  4. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Sherry, you may have caught a case of MAS. First it's just looking, then you feel like, that's pretty cool... It would probably be pretty fun to play ... Next thing you know, you're emailing the seller....
  5. FredK
    FredK
    I've been tempted to go for this one ever since it hit the classifieds. Knowing that it's offered through Bruce's shop gave me even more reason to go for it. Normally, his stock moves quickly. I'm surprised it's still for sale on his site. Oh, the agony! Somebody please remove (buy) this temptation before I give in.
  6. NDO
    NDO
    I know! I’m so early in my journey I have no reason to succumb to MAS but that’s just such a beautiful instrument. I’m totally happy with my mandolin but an F style is so cool. I’ve pretty much decided not to upgrade without playing my next mandolin but I can’t help checking the classifieds every day! When I’m playing at home my Eastman seems insanely loud but when things get crowded at the brewery I can’t help but wish it was louder. Once we get to resume plugging into my PA I think it will be fine but for acoustic playing I keep second guessing
  7. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Yeah, that is one fine looking mandolin. The wear doesn't bother me at all, in fact it adds to the cachet. First F style I have been seriously attracted to. One of you guys, buy it already
  8. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    NDO,

This is where I am. I have a mandolin I am happy with. I also have a plan for acquisitions, but part of that plan is returning to normal so that I can travel to IBMAs or camps or shops and play a bunch of mandolins and compare them. The only time I've been able to do that was on a trip to Dusty Strings in Seattle. And I was not really in a purchase evaluation mode. I really like the look of Webbers and they are comparatively affordable, but I am not in any way ready to pull the trigger. I check obsessively because I want to know the market. Plus I may be in the buyers market for a different kind of mandolin (I would love to get a nice stradolin if one popped up and if the right 5 string emando came available I could be a buyer in that market too.)
  9. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Based on my own experience, and advice from you guys, I say if you see one you LOVE, go for it. It won't be there long. If you don't like it, relist it.

If it's just not a good time for you to buy, best not to look.
  10. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I noticed on the Weber web site that this has been sold. (yeah, I've been following it just a tad )
    Did one of you guys buy it?
    Phew, I'm glad I don't have to think about it any more.
  11. NDO
    NDO
    Haha not me, this time
    I can’t help but look at the classifieds every day.
    I really can’t decide whether my next upgrade is going to be a different style (F instead of A, or oval instead of f hole, or both, or neither)... so I really think I’ll wait till I can get my hands on a variety to try. I’m really hoping I can talk my wife into detouring through Whitefish on our next trip to my place in Montana so I can check out Bruce’s new shop.
  12. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Not the Weber...
  13. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    So a Stradolin or a 5 string e-mando????
  14. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I saw the person who bought this Weber post a picture of him with his new mandolin in one of the Facebook mandolin groups. He looked very happy with it and I am glad it appears to have found a new home.
  15. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Me too
  16. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Today the matching mandola is on the classifieds
  17. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    And I had been doing so well NOT looking at the classifieds....

I think I'm out of the market, at least for a few months or so but it doesn't mean I can't look...
  18. NDO
    NDO
    Finally got to see my wife and she’s complaining my mandolin is too loud (and I think it isn’t loud enough when I’m playing acoustic in a crowd)... so I guess I should use that as an excuse to buy an oval hole
  19. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    You could also get an electric, plus an amp with headphones...there are so many options to solve this issue...you could even pursue multiple avenues
  20. NDO
    NDO
    Ooooh now that’s an idea... ‘lectric...
  21. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    ... multiple avenues

... And this from the guy who was going to hit the "Report" button
  22. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Sue,

I can encourage "others" to pursue their MAS, it is just no fair when others encourage me to do it....
  23. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter

I need to stop looking. There's a tenor guitar set up with GDAE tuning advertised locally to me for a very good price ....
  24. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Of course you need an oval-hole. Everyone needs an oval, or two, or three . . .
  25. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Love my oval hole!
  26. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Well, I've got a Morris flat top with an oval hole. But I really want a Strad-O-Lin oval hole with "character" to match my other one. Or, there was a 1919 Gibson about the same color on local CL for a long time that I kept looking at. It's gone now, though.
  27. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I have two oval holes and an electric, but there is still something missing...
  28. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well, at the risk of spreading my severe case of MAS and all the turmoil and anguish this insidious affliction brings, I submit the following:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Absar...QAAOSwZ91gd0ah

Looks nice. Good price. I had a Weber Beartooth of about the same vintage and it is the only mandolin I have sold and still wish I hadn't. The Absaroka looks almost identical to my old Beartooth. The Beartooth and Absaroka were morphed together in 2008 to become the new Yellowstone model.

NFI. And I am currently lazily enjoying an after feast torpor, so I will be watching but not bidding.
  29. NDO
    NDO
    After some of the discussions on the forums I’m afraid to buy on eBay. But it’s tempting!
  30. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    On eBay, the seller's risk is high, the buyer's risk is low. eBay actively supports just about any claim a buyer makes should there be a problem. I will buy on eBay but I no longer sell there. MC classifieds is my storefront. I do suspect that this auction will attract a few bids in the last 30 seconds or so.
  31. NDO
    NDO
    I thought it was funny that the item description says “Dave Weber signed”. At least the auction title shows it as Bruce.
  32. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    It looks really nice, Hank, but I'm afraid I have to pass. Right now, the Eastman I have plays a lot better than I do.
  33. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well, thanks to all the bad influences here, I went looking in the Classifieds for a Weber and wound up pulling the trigger on a really nice Rigel A. It definitely has the sound I was looking for, and the neck is a dream. Bridge needs some sorting out, but nothing too crazy. If I can get it together for this month’s song, I’m sure it will make an appearance.
  34. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Congrats, bbcee. Can't wait to see and hear it.
  35. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations bbcee!
  36. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    That's awesome, bbcee!
  37. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    How about a description of the construction. I understand that Rigels have carved ribs instead of thin bent planks like most mandolins. Are the ribs integral with the back or the neck?
  38. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    That Absaroka is now in MandolinCafe classifieds. Somebody buy it before I go crazy.
  39. NDO
    NDO
    Oh dang and it’s even cheaper on the ad (although shipping isn’t included in the price).
    How would that mando compare to the Skip Kelly also listed in the classifieds?
  40. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have never been close to a Skip Kelly but I would guess that the Kelly has a more bluegrassy tone. The Weber should be mellower. I know the Weber will be well built and I suspect the Kelly is, too. If the seller for the Kelly is Mandomutt, you might call him and ask for his compare and contrast. He has handled Skip Kelly mandos for a long time and I am confident he is familiar with Webers.
  41. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Hank,

Somehow I have managed to (mostly) quit looking at the classifieds entirely. It is possible to overcome, if you really want to...

I'm sure I'll be browsing again before long.
  42. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Operative phrase being "if you really want to..."
  43. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Bah. Humbug. I can quit any time I want ...

44. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thread busting again, because I was asked for photos by Mr. Hank ...
    Here's a couple of bad photos of the Rigel. The body is milled out of a piece of maple, the sides are radiused, and a carved top is let into the back/side assembly. The photo of the top shows the top seam around the end of the fretboard, and the other, the radiused side. It's really comfortable to play, BTW, and no real need for an armrest.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VG3dvSwWHi5VngWj8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Veoz5etFNuoDY5Xq7

I used to be able to insert images, but guess I've lost my touch. Enjoy the URLS ...
  45. NDO
    NDO
    Well it looks like the Weber didn’t last long... did someone here jump on it?
  46. NDO
    NDO
    I don’t want to jinx things... but I’m working on a deal for what I’m hoping might be a lifetime mando. Fingers crossed, I’m a week away from a road trip home with a detour to pick up an awesome instrument. I’ll share details when it happens next Tuesday. I’m beyond excited.
  47. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    On pins and needles here!
  48. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    NDO, do I remember you saying you were working in New Mexico? Give us a tiny hint or two. Which part of the state, and which direction is home? There aren't very many mandolins running around loose in NM, so I'm guessing you have a drive ahead of you.
  49. NDO
    NDO
    Heading west before I head north!
  50. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Don, I'm beginning to think you're a spy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast