Will ye no come back again

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    An instrumental version of a Scottish song. Other than John, I don't live near any lochs, so I have to find my pictures on the net instead of filming my surroundings.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A gentle, sensitive arrangement of one of my favourite Scottish airs, Christian. There are lovely lyrics written by Caroline Oliphant (Lady Nairn) and they tell of the aftermath of the Jacobite Rising of 1745, when Prince Charlie fled the slaughter at Culloden and managed to escape to France, from whence he did not return. The lyrics tell of the longing of his loyal clansmen for his return to lead them into battle again.

Your choice of pictures suits the tune too - I love the old Speyside Whisky van and the shots of the Glenfinnan Railway viaduct (more famous now as a location in the Harry Potter films) which takes the West Highland Railway very close to the spot where the monument to Prince Charlie stands.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clean picking of every note, Christian.
    Thanks for the historical background information, John.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks John and Frithjof!
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    After listening to Christian's beautifully wistful rendering of Will Ye No' Come Back Again? I put together this trio of tunes all relating to the Jacobite Rising of 1745: the reel The Eight Men Of Moidart for the first landing of Charles Edward Stuart at Moidart, then a waltz, Come O'er The Stream, Charlie to mark the successful phase of the rising and finally the slow air Will Ye No' Come Back Again commemorating his fleeing from the slaughter at Culloden and his eventual escape to France, never to return.

Mandolin and acoustic guitar on this set, and three keys: D, C and G!

6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks CC and John, very nice.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    John, you made a fine set of these very different pieces. Beautiful! And I love the pictures with the old trees.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Simon and Frithjof. The trees are very old beeches and they are planted around the ruins of the burial ground which dates back to the 1760s, Frithjof. The site is only about a mile from my home and is a very lovely spot. The castle in the first few shots is Castle Campbell in Dollar Glen, not far from Stirling.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Two very nice recordings!
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great trilogy! Did you work as a history teacher? Anyway,very fine playing on three different tunes.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis and Christian. I actually spent 35 years as an English teacher, Christian, but have always had a keen interest in Scotland's past through our music, literature and social history.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The battles are all very good, but I found this scholar’s description of the famous Scottish national hero William Wallace most pertinent.
    https://youtu.be/tHA1ufmLZQY