NMD--I got a fever and the only presciption is more mandolins!

1. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Today I welcomed into the household Andrew Jerman #11, a 2 point, four string electric. Bought it off of the Cafe classifieds. This is my second mandolin purchase in the past four months and my third overall.

Although I am very excited, I can say that delving into the world of electrics is a steep learning curve. I cannot post a sound sample, because I do not have an amplifier (in the process of ordering). I am ordering a Fender mustang. Excited to dive in.

2. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I've added a photo to the top of the group.

I really like this website and group, but the way to add and manage photos is way to complicated and non-intuitive.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I agree. But I guess I am kinda used to all the convolutions by now. Congrats on the new electric!
  4. NDO
    NDO
    Congratulations on the new mando! That’s awesome.
  5. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    So awesome! Looks like great fun!
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only newbie with bad MAS.

Heh, I was going to point out to you this Stradolin on Ebay. It's not 50's, it early 40's like mine; it's got the same tuners. Looks like a good one But you've got a new electric, so......
  6. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Sue, please do not encourage my sickness...I almost had to push the report button on that comment.

I am afraid I am way beyond MAS. I find myself looking at the banjo ads and the violin ads as well, and when I am feeling especially adventurous, searching various dark corners of the internet in hopes of finding a theramin or an affordable hurdy-gurdy...
  7. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I hear you. Though looking is one thing. I spent more time than I care to admit this morning looking at octofones.

My Stradolin is my true love, but I have 3 mandolins, a mandola, and I did just buy a mandolin banjo
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Theramin. Hmmm. Achhh - no frets on a theramin. I think I'll keep shopping for a good deal on a vintage theorbo.
  9. NDO
    NDO
    I even bought a guitar and a uke, and a travel mandolin...even though all I ever pick up is my Eastman
    MAS is real
  10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    You guys are nuts! I have enough trouble deciding what to practice each day. Can't imagine having to decide which instrument also!
  11. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter

Theorbo! Hmm, a large bass lute. That's another I've never heard of....

I did come close to buying a late 1800s German lute guitar locally about a month ago from Craigslist. I looked at it for a couple of weeks. When I finally emailed an offer, he'd sold it an hour before. The main reason I wanted it (besides a very cool sound), was the luthier was named Reiter (which was the original spelling of my name back in the old country).
  12. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Well congratulations, Southern Man! Sounds like fun.