When Laura Smiles

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Philip Rosseter (1568-1623): When Laura Smiles
    Arranged by David M. Brown

This is my mandolin quartet instrumental rendition of this well-known Elizabethan madrigal, based on an arrangement by David M. Brown (thanks, David!). Played on two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

"When Laura smiles her sight revives both night and day"

Martin
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very beautiful renaissance music, played con gusto.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian. I didn't know the song when David sent me his arrangement, but loved it when I looked it up -- compared to other madrigals it's a quite modern sounding tune with clean and strong harmonies. Most versions online seem to be vocal and lute only, and sung a bit faster than my recording. I tried that tempo, but it came out sounding a bit rushed so I stuck with this gentler take.

Martin
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like this tune too, Martin. Nicely played. I also like the fact that I can see your music stand - are we supposed to hide it in shame ? - it's nice to see it and know we are playing music, usually sheet music and I don't think it needs to be hidden.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It is a nice melody, indeed. I've also always liked the word "madrigal" for some reason. Perhaps it sounds more other-worldly than the actual songs!

It's also worth noting how well this works as an instrumental, at least when you play it. Bravo!