Blodeu'r Gwynwydd (Honeysuckle Blossom)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a traditional Welsh air, originally published by the harper Edward Jones in "Musical and Poetical Relicks of the Welsh Bards" (2nd Ed., 1794). It is one of many Welsh and Scottish folk tunes that were arranged for keyboard and voice by Joseph Haydn shortly afterwards -- Haydn's setting is Hob.XXXIb:54 (here is a recording of the song)

My arrangement is based on a quartet setting for mandolins by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni in "Anna and Evelyn's Little Book for Mandolins 2019", available on Amazon (NFI, but highly recommended). I'm playing the tune twice through, with the second mandolin harmony/counter melody coming in for the repeat.

The Edward Jones book is at IMSLP:
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Musical_and_P...nes%2C_Edward)

Evelyn's book is also available as free download here on the Cafe (as a gift from Evelyn in her last posting here):
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ic-from-Evelyn

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Beautiful Welsh tune nicely arranged and superbly played, Martin!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wonderful tune, very baroque, and that 'Cello sounds woody enough to make a BG player weep.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian and Bertram! I've mixed the mandocello a bit higher than I normally do, to get that thumping bassline coming through.

Martin
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice tune Martin, and fine playing, that’s a mode that isn’t played very often.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a great arrangement, Martin. I like the stately mandocello and the counter-melody soaring in for the second verse.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Simon and Dennis. The credit for the counter melody is Evelyn's, but I enjoy the way it gives the arrangement a kick when it comes in.

Martin