Week #545 ~ Carolan's Welcome Home (Carolan's Welcome)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sorry for my delay in posting, it's been a crazy few days!

This week's winner is Carolan'ds Welcome Home. I'm only finding notation for Carolan's Welcome, so I don't know if I inadvertently added the HOME to the title, or if there's another tune out there!

Here's a link to 10 settings on thesession.org

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Barbara. The second video you've posted is the one I recorded last July, using my Vinaccia bowlback. I used the "Welcome Home" title as this is what Allan Alexander says in his book, the source for my setting. I think it's more commonly just called "Carolan's Welcome". Same tune, though.

Martin
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two nice versions by SAW-members, I especially like the fact, that David plays the eighth notes with a swing feeling and tried to emulate that. I transposed the tune from a to b minor, so I could work on my third position playing, that's still in need of some improvememt.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nicely done, Christian. Your graphics are becoming quite a feature in the videos.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for the motivation Gents!
    Very nice Christian, I like the the antiquated, pre-colonial feel to it.

-also, planet Earth is fine, but let’s not forget that there are more than 300,000 habitable planets in our galaxy alone...
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Simon says 300,000 habitable planets in our galaxy
    Ahaa - O'Carolan is not dead, then - he signalled one of their ships to pick him up and take him home
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes Bertram, but our galaxy is up to 200,000 light years across -O’Carolan’s message, traveling at light speed, won’t even be heard for a very, very long time.
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played, Christian! And David and Martin, too.

This tune is very special to me, not just because it's from O'Carolan. When we got married nearly 8 years ago now, we asked the wonderful harp player Ramona Egle to play at the church and the reception afterwards. This is one of the tunes she played. A very gentle flowing melody that sounded amazing on the harp. I'll never forget it.

Perhaps it's time to learn it.
  9. phb256
    phb256

I like the way this one sounds on the mandocello, except for those couple of notes that didn't come out too clearly. From the video it looks like I need to work on keeping my fingers closer to the fretboard too.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine steady playing Paul. I like that tone too, but it makes me want to buy a mandocello!
    I wonder what it sounds like with the capo at 5th?
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well done, Paul! It's nice to hear a mandocello.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well played, Paul. You are stretching well and getting the pinkie working on that long fingerboard - you look like you have quite small hands (?) Have you tried moving your left hand round slightly, by bending your wrist a bit more (like a classical guitarist)? This would let your fingers reach across to the lower strings more easily, I feel.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds great on that mandocello.
  14. phb256
    phb256
    Thanks, everyone. John - I think the camera perspective causes some distortion, but the fret spacing does require quite a stretch for me. I see what you mean about hand position though. On a bass guitar, my thumb would be in the middle of the neck, on the back. The mandocello lets me get lazy about that because the width is thinner. One of the benefits of making these videos is that it helps me to see what I need to work on.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    just as long as your fingers land on time, don't worry too much about their intermediate flight, Paul. Mine are in the air most of the time.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury

Here we are, Carolan's Welcome on solo mandolin. Work isn't great at the moment, so this was a welcome reminder of happy times. O'Carolan was quite the magician for melody.
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely playing there Dennis, calm and gentle.

About the animal act, so now we are using crows as extras in our vids?
    Shameless, but that’s show business- excellent, very effective. Well done.

Bertram you play like a Golden Eagle, majestic, soaring over the valley, ready to pounce on the fretboard.
    -more vids!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very clean and relaxed playing, Dennis. It is good to hear just a simple solo version of a tune at times.
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two fine new solo versions: Paul on a big mandodello and Dennis on his nice sounding mandolin.
  20. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you. John, you should have seen me shouting at myself just before this take after the umpteenth time of failing to play without errors. I managed to calm myself back down for this take.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No problems Dennis, most of us have been there at sometime or other.
    -you should have seen me yesterday, smiling behind my mask, but almost losing it at our local events stadium, and then jumping back on my bicycle to leave!
    -whatever!

I really like your vids for their playful, experimental, spiritual and ethereal nature.
    Have you posted any aggressive, heavy rhythm tunes?
    (Aggressive meaning: positive, driving, high energy etc)
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The result is what counts, Dennis, not the hardships we undergo to produce it - those hardships are lessons for our own benefit, not the listeners', that's what separates us from weightlifters. Your playing of the piece appears light and carefree in spite of the effort, that's how you recognise a true hero.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice version, Dennis. Clean sound with good sustain.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    After a long hike through the Austrian Alps, I needed some recreation. I found a nice place on the meadow next to the vacation apartment.
    So, it is kind of a field recording with a smartphone. There are some noises caused by wind and traffic – only reduced by the grass around the smartphone.

My timing is not very consistent – sorry. I should more often play by heart!
    (I’m mostly sight-reading sheet music and often using a metronome - but ot on the meadows.)

The mountain in the background is the Karhorn close to Lech am Arlberg.

Edit: Since the sound of my video used to be barely audible for so many, I posted the same video again but with raised volume.
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No problem with the timing, fine playing Frithjof, nice to see you à la nature!
    I like the spicy jazz turn in the B part.
  26. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Frithjof, I love the sound of you instrument. Also, nicely played.
  27. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Maybe it's just me...but I can't hear this Frithjof. If I hold the speakers right up to my ears I can hear it a bit. It sounds really nice, I wish I could hear it normally.
  28. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Your keal'n me Frithjof, it is sooo beautiful there. Very nice playing with nature. The sound level is rather low, I really had to crank up the volume, but it sounded fine.
  29. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine solo rendition on my favourite mandolin, Frithjof.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What the others have already said, Frithjof. Fine playing but volume a bit on the low side, but creditable performance in the great outdoors!
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for all the nice comments.

I`m sorry myself for the low audio output. I’ll see if I can fix that using Audacity and then edit the existing video on YouTube. I’ve never done that before.

I mounted my smartphone on a small stand between all these meadow plants. I aimed to reduce the wind noise this way. That worked partly but also reduced the “mandolin noise”. So, I’ve overdone the noise reduction. Its learning by trial and error.
    I recognized the low audio level but thought it is high enough for my “field recording”.
  32. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Since the sound of my video used to be barely audible for so many, I posted the same video again but with raised volume as “Carolan's Welcome (louder)”.

I edited my post above and linked it with the new version now. I hope that all can hear the birds now additional to my “phenomenal“ mandolin playing.
  33. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    You’re second vid is private too.
    Can you you change the classification, Frithjof?
    (Looking forward to hearing it!)
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Oops! I just fixed that.
  35. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Frithjof -- I love the setting and the liberated nature of you playing by heart. The timing is just fine, the tone is great, and the fact that some of your notes are quite different from the "standard" version of the tune is what drives the folk process and creates the wonderful range of different versions of traditional tunes that we have today.

Martin
  36. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Excuse my belated thank, Martin. Your comment is most appreciated.
  37. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My solo mandolin version.
  38. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I liked that Dusty! A solo mando..., I don't think there's anything like it.
  39. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    David, I was sure we get a clean Dusty-version of this nice Carolan tune. Well done!
  40. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine, sensitive playing, nice!
  41. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    NIce one, Dusty. Great photos too and especially that last array of your old amps!
  42. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Really nice, Dusty. I enjoyed the solo and the old pics.
  43. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Very nice!
  44. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I appreciate everyone's comments and encouragement. This recording was an experiment for me using a "Dawg" pick. I didn't care for the heavy feel gliding across the strings and felt this heavy pick takes away the brilliancy and sparkling character of the strings. I will be going back to my old favorite BC TP40.
  45. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The Dawggpick sounds fine in your right hand!