1. Simon DS
    Simon DS

An olde dance tune, here’s the .abc for mandolintab.net

X:2012
    T:Blue Eyed Stranger
    R:Reel
    C:Trad.
    O:England
    Z:Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook 2020 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=160
    K:G
    "G"G2D2D2GF|"C"ED EF "G"G2A2|B2d2 "C"cB AG|"Am"E2 "D7"F2 "G"G2 D2:|
    "G"GA Bc d2G2|"C"ed cB "D7"A2D2|"G"GA Bc "D"d2d2|"G"B3c "D"d4|
    "G"GA Bc d2G2|"C"ed cB "D7"A2GA|"G"B2d2 "C"cBAG|"Am"E2 "D7"F2 "G"G4|]

Hardy : https://pghardy.net/tunebooks/pgh_basic_tunebook.abc
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ooof! Changed my mind at the last minute, scrapped some tracks and added some nature lover vids.
    Hope you guys like what you hear!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great performance, Simon. One of your best to date, I would say. Video clips are very pleasing too.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, I wasn’t sure about adding the G drone which sounds like a lone piper playing on the mountainside, but I guess it sounds ok.

Took me ages to set up the camera for the recording and then after all that I didn’t use it.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I was going to say virtually the same thing as John. One of your best !
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny I appreciate it. The sky often makes me think of people.
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful tune and video!
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great stuff Simon! I love the tempo, and it sounds so right on that octave of yours - not that I'm condoning the use of octave mandolins
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very fine playing: relaxed yet up to speed!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gentlemen, actually I got pretty excited about this one and played it on the octave really loud, first time really and occasionally too loud, hence the string buzzing.

Strange, I found with the increased drive the instrument gives the pick more of a rhythmic bounce back to the forearm and the whole instrument body resonates.

Also I had a bit of fun with that quick double beat that I managed get only in a couple of places, and also what I think of as a Highland Fling (but isn’t at all) but it’s where there’s a slight lengthening for example of B3 at the end of the first line of the B part to give a leaping feeling.

Also I wanted to thank all of you guys.
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very enjoyable! Thanks, Simon.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Excellent playing and video!
  13. phb256
    phb256
    Really like the drone and drum. Excellent.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys the drone is actually from a recording on the internet, motivated by world events. I don’t think it’s a reed because there’s a rebounding randomness to it, more like a hurdy gurdy drone.

The drum is my bodhran that really needs to get out more often, I’m going to have to check on my neighbour’s weekly schedule to be able to do some practice...
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well, Frithjof?
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon, you know that my recent attempt has no real mandolin content (only the man who tried to play the tune plays mandolin, too).

For friends who are interested:

17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay Lockdown’s relaxing. Breakout!
    Really nice Frithjof, I like the timing too, a sort of warm rhythm, if that makes any sense...
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice job, Frithjof. That tree you are perched on seems like some mythical beast you have just slain in combat, and now you are celebrating your victory with a triumphal tune!
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Or it’s a sad and melancholic strain, full of remorse.
    You’re playing for the loss of your favourite horse, thinking, ‘now I am going to have to cross the whole of Europe on this donkey!’

Like Captain O’Kane.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, John and Simon. Nice imagination.

It was a funny situation anyway. It was an unexpected chance to practice outside but close to the car service station. Therefore, I craped my concertina and put it in a mandolin gig bag. A few minutes away I practiced on a clearance. It was nice to play in the sun. Unfortunately, I’m not skillful enough to play the concertina without support. I had to look for a seat. The old log was great. I even had a nice view at the river and occasionally the audience of two paddlers.
  21. phb256
    phb256

After a few dozen false starts, I managed to get through this one. But by that time it was dark.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version, especially when you move up an octave which seems to carry the melody line better.
    The false starts are something we all know about and they make us better players.
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice! Good rhythm and I really like the tone on that instrument. Yes, going up an octave, I’m going have to do that as an exercise. Thanks for sharing this.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great to have another version and on a not so common instrument in addition.