Introduction

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hi! My name is Barbara, and I live in Iowa & Texas. I've got a bunch of instruments... I do have a Mid-Missouri M-O that I got used last December, from another Cafe member. Before that I had a Mid-Missouri Mini-Mo, which I don't see on their new website. It was the REALLY no frills model, but it was a great mando, and I gave it to my friend when I got the M-O. I also bought (on a whim) a cute little mando that Michael at Big Muddy, said was a model they made a few of, called the Kiddie Mo. I got the Mid-Mo to take when I travel, but I'm really impressed with what a great little mando it is~

Barbara
  2. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    I have a M-1 Mid Mo which I've passed along to my youngest daughter. One of my bandmates has, possibly, the first Mid Mo OM with rosewood b & s that Mike D. sold. It's short scale makes for very comfortable playing.
  3. Lou Scuderi
    Lou Scuderi
    I've got M-1 #4321. It was my first mando ever. I've also got a mandola (m-14 I believe). The mando now serves as my travel instrument.
  4. duffy
    duffy
    Hi. I'm Mike. I live in Racine, WI. I've had my Big Muddy about a year and love it. I started taking lessons about 5 weeks ago and have a long way to go. My goal is to eventually be able to play Irish/Celtic tunes in a recognizable manner. I'm 69 and never played a stringed instrument before but have lots of time to learn. My favorite annual event is the Milwaukee Irish Fest.
  5. dougiebe
    dougiebe
    My MidMo M-1 was my first mando and I still have it. I use it a lot for my non-bg gigs. I stick a pickup on it and it sounds great! It's loud with incredible attack. I'll never get rid of it. -dougiebe
  6. Peter Kurtze
    Peter Kurtze
    I'm Peter. My M-4 was my first "modern" mandolin, replacing a series of more or less unplayable 1920s-30s instruments I had picked up in pawnshops. It's simple, sturdy, plays well, has a nice woody tone, and it's good and loud for Irish sessions. I'm a fan.
  7. ukebassmandozouk
    ukebassmandozouk
    I'm Shelton, Nashville, former owner of a nearly new Mid-Mo M-4 (I sold the M-4, later got a Weber Hyalite). Like John Paul Jones and Paul McCartney, I've played electric bass for a number of years but have recently come to the mando. Unlike them, I haven't made a dime/pound/Euro playing music lately. I will mostly be taking up Irish and old-time music with a little bluegrass thrown in. Would love to get a Mid-Mo/Big Muddy mandola (and octave, if they make one) at some point. UPDATE: After nearly buying a Big Muddy mandola (seller's remorse: you know who you are!) from the Cafe classifieds, I am happy to report that a Mid-Mo M-14 mandola, also found on the Cafe classifieds, has arrived in my hot little hands.
  8. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    Hello,

I got a secondhand Mid-Missouri mandola on Thursday, so thought I'd join the group. Mid-Missouri mandos are hard to find here in the UK, so I'm really pleased to have found it, and it sounds wonderful. I'm a long-time guitar player who, like many here, have moved into the mando world. I also play banjo and can tinkle around a bit on keyboards.

I restrung the new mandola today (the strings on it were the most gunky I've ever seen!) and now it sounds even better. Trouble is, I can't seem to put the cover back on the tailpiece

Am off the battle with it again.

Looking forward to joining in.

JC
  9. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    JC

The tail piece on my Mid Mo has a snug fit as well. You mentioned that the strings were gunky. Is there accumulated gunk on either part of the tail piece?
  10. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    Hi Jon,

I managed to get it back on, thanks. I think it was just me being an idiot.

JC
  11. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Hi all,
    I just found this social group (doh) and had to join. I've got a walnut Big Muddy mandolin and a Koa Big Muddy Mandola (my only instruments). I started playing (?) about a year ago with a Kentucky 505 and after the first of the year I started thinkin' I wanted an oval hole in addition and was looking for a Kentucky 172.
    I kept reading good reviews on the Big Muddy/Mid Mo's and contacted Mike Dulak. I've never dealt with a more pleasant person. We negotiated a price that involved a little cash (from stealing and selling my nieghbors car), 2 goats and 4 geese, but that's another story...
    Anyway, I enjoyed my new wide neck BM so much that I got rid of the 505 and put that money towards a mandola.
  12. SWS
    SWS
    Hello, I am Scott from Colorado.

I realize this post is approaching 11 years. I wanted to introduce myself and share in the enthusiasm.

I got a M-4J from Mike about a year ago. What a great mandolin. Like many others here I have many mandolins, but my Muddy gets a majority of play time.
    Do most of you still have you Mid-Mo or Big Muddy mandolins?

Best,

Scott