Week #546 ~ Hardiman the Fiddler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    thanks folks for the kind comments
  2. phb256
    phb256

Feel free to ignore the mistakes and enjoy the birds. It took a long time to get the timing close to correct. I think it was Townsend who said "Slip jig, slip jig. Realization: there's no easy way to play three."
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice to see you and your mandocello in full day light. (Seemingly) calm and steady playing. Your right-hand technic looks a lot better than mine.
    And the birds are incredible.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, nice to see you again Paul, and great playing! You’ve got a good sense of rhythm already.

The rhythm does take a while to get, I usually just metronome each tune till I know which notes in each bar need heavier accents.
    However if I don't ‘feel’ the tune rhythmically then I don’t continue at the recording stage unless I’m recording with a click track. Sometimes I need five minutes of metronome drilling before each recording as a warm up.
    Nice tone too.
    What sort of birds are those?

-another exercise I used to do was just take 2 bars and lots of repeats over and over using a drum machine with different rhythms to give different accents each practice session.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good steady pace there, Paul. Jigs and other of the faster tunes are very demanding on the longer-scale instruments, and you handle yours very well here.
  6. phb256
    phb256
    I'm not sure about the birds. I get quite a variety in my yard. I got frustrated using a metronome on this so I would just do one measure over and over again until I thought I had it, then try to connect to adjacent measures. A drum track may work better for me than the metronome though, so I should try that.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    x-XXxxXX is my favourite for reels at the moment, the metronome I’ve got gives a sort of shunting train Rockabilly (sounds to me) type rhythm.
    Here’s another, it’s a jig rhythm (1,2,3 1,2,3) that’s slightly flatten towards becoming a 4/4 reel (1,2,3+ 1,2,3+). (As opposed to a jig (1,2,3 1,2,3) that’s becoming a slip jig (1+,2,3 1+,2,3 1+,2,3)) (the plus + means the note is a fraction longer)
    https://youtu.be/mtg3w7pmz_s
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's still a work on progress, but I wanted to post in a reasonably timely way. If the pareto principle holds, it would take me far too long to eliminate the remaining issues.

9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent version Dennis. Each day moving up the mathematical curve!
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice version, Dennis. Good decission to post it now.
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sounds great to me, and such a lovely tone from your mandolin too!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Excellent version, Dennis. I can really feel the pulsing triplets of the slip jig in your playing here. As Jill says, great tone too from your mandolin.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Dennis has got the flow, the jazz, the jibe, the groove!
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you! I have a mandolin lesson on Thursday where I'll play this. It's a nice tune.
  15. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    These are all very enjoyable versions! (How did I not see this thread before now?!)
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's my attempt at this tune. This is my second jig along side Irish Washerwoman that I learned as a kid. This was a LOT harder than I thought. And with what my Father always called " Of to the races syndrome", it's a little quick. I'm my own worse enemy. Oh' well. Aren't we all. Thanks for listen'n.
  17. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Nice!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Frank. I like the cool vibe you create here visually!
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fast and smooth picking there Frank, interesting picking patterns too, with the very very fast down picking. Cool indeed.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Much to cool, Frankdolin. I every time get a little dizzy by such speed races.
  21. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks All ! Gotta work on that groove. I live in 3/4 and 4/4. Hats off again to John and the guys that really play this music. It's way fun BTW.
  22. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This seemed appropriate for St Patrick's Day, with pictures of great Irish fiddlers of yesteryear. Now I discover that many of you had got there first, and relatively recently. It's a great thread (and a wonderful tune, if a bit trickier than it seems, as many have noted).

23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    More nice swiftly played music I really like the suspended chords, gives a feeling of anticipation followed by the full resolved chords.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A fine addition to the thread, Richard. Nice to see all these fiddlers.
  25. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Happy St. Patrick's Day! Very good playing as usual.
  26. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Simon, Frithjof and Dennis.

Simon, this tune does have unresolved feel to it, both the harmony and the 9/8 time (which always gives me that feeling that there should be a bit more coming).
  27. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great playing as usual, Richard! BtW, you hold the mandolin pretty perpendicularly.
  28. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Christian. I changed the way that I hold the mandolin a few months ago, dispensing with the shoulder strap, sitting with crossed legs to get the instrument at the right height, and holding it at a more upright angle. I find that by doing that it is easier to get my left-hand fingertips at something close to a 90 degree angle. I also find it more comfortable - the closer to horizontal the neck is, the more strain there is on the left wrist. (I have no idea if any of this is orthodox thinking, but I was prompted to make the change by watching a video of Marla Fibish, though looking at her play now I see that I hold it several degrees more upright.)
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Three years already since we posted our various versions of this great jig, Richard, and one I have rarely played since as we don't often play it at our sessions here.
    Your revival of it is timely and you play it so well.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12