How to embed an MP3 into a Newbies thread

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    How to post an mp3 in a Social Group thread

I got a request to explain how to put an mp3 into a social group thread. It's been a while since I did that so I am going to experiment here and see if I can figure it out. If I get it done right, I will then explain how I did it.

This should be an embedded mp3 player, cued up to a tune I selected:

2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    OK, it looks like that works. Here is what I did:

1. upload mp3 to my profile photo album.
    a. click on "My Profile" link in the menu at top of just about any page in Mandolin Cafe
    b. scroll down to "Albums" and open your photo album.
    c. I know an mp3 is not a photo. I didn't write this software.
    d. click on the link for "upload photos". See comment 1.c.
    e. click on the button near the upper right corner that says "add files".
    f. click on the "choose file" button, then select the file you want in the browser and click "open".
    g. click on the "upload" button (near the "add files" button you used in step 1.e.).
    h. click on the "done" button.
    i. click on the "save changes" button.
    j. you should now see your file listed in your album.
    k. click on the placeholder frame for the mp3 you just added.
    l. click on the text in the box just below the words "BB Code". This should select the whole text in that box.
    m. copy that text to the clipboard -- I do that in Windows by hitting ctrl-c on the keyboard.
    2. Now go to the Newbies group and open the thread you want to post to and compose your new post or reply. When you want to embed your mp3, be sure you have the cursor where you want it to go, then paste the BB code you copied in step 1.l. I do this by hitting ctrl-v.
    3. The result should look like this in the edit window:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

[IMG]https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=194316&d=1621899471[/IMG]

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

4. Now, here is the real trick. See the [IMG] and [/IMG] tags in the line you pasted from the album? Change them to [MP3] and [/MP3]. That should do the trick.

5. To double check before you post, hit the "Advanced" button or "Preview Message" button to get a preview and a chance to edit your post if it isn't to your liking.

6. Notice that this procedure is exactly the same procedure as that used for posting an image from your photo album with the one added step of changing the tags from IMG to MP3.

7. Refer once again to step 1.c. And lest I get in trouble, l hasten to add that I am very grateful that somebody put all this together for us to use free for nothing. Beauty spots and all.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead

I'm not sure the mp3 works, but we'll see. My friend Laurie Baker is singing. She had told me to practice while she played the verse. You can hear me doing that. The actual solo isn't as clean as when I was playing at home, but considering there were no "re-dos," I'm pretty happy with it.
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I guess it did work! Thanks, Henry!
  5. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Wow, Sherry, that sounded great!
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Sue. I believe it was my first time to play with others without looking at written music.
  7. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    What a milestone! You go!
  8. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sounds great, Sherry!
  9. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, all. It's a start.
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    There is a "sticky" thread at the beginning of the Song and Tune Projects section of the Forum which Scott specifically designed for posting pictures and mp3s to social groups.
  11. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I forget about that
  12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hmmm. I had forgotten about it too. I used to use that method for embedding videos and photos. Then I got my wrist slapped because that was not the official way to do that. Nice to know that there is an "official" way to embed mp3's.