Among the Crows and Rooks (by Paul Downes)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a tune by Paul Downes.
    I used my remaining vids from the past cold winter.

https://youtu.be/dKBrloSKsDQ

-I was wondering does anyone have a good sterio and good ears to hear if the guitar at the end sounds distorted?
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You're on a roll! That sounds and looks absolutely brilliant.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent production Simon. I liked the guitar - it was a nice addition. It didn't sound distorted, I have my $$ headphones on. It is a smidge loud as an accompaniment. But gives a good driving beat at the same time.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing, Simon. Percussion, drone and guitar support the melody very well.
    The video footage is interesting until the end, too.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sounds lovely Simon, as Ginny pointed out the guitar is a wee bit loud, mainly starting at the 1:39 mark as fuller strumming starts. Not distorted sounding though, and lovely tune.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a super tune, Simon, and you play it really well here. Your arrangement and choice of instruments is excellent,and I would agree with Ginny and Jill about the volume of the guitar. It does not sound distorted (listening on good headphones here) but have you thought of capoing your guitar and playing the chords in a higher register to separate the backing chords more from the melody? Capo at 5th fret and then play C chord as an open G shape, etc?
    Certainly one of your best productions to date!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys, so that was an octave with capo at the fifth fret, a simple C drone and the bodhran which was quite difficult to accompany because the downbeats weren’t as crisp as a metronome or drum machine.

The timing of the bodhran track is regular over ten or twenty seconds however it does slide about a bit over 2-3 second spans which I kind of like. I was trying to figure out if there was a two or four measure pattern but couldn’t discern any.

Yes John I agree I think I prefer it with a capo on the guitar and sounds that are more precise, ie. a set up with an octave with lots of open strings and sustain played along with a high capoed partly melodic guitar. Or the opposite, a mandolin and a double bass.

Actually now I think about it, I played the guitar quite loud for combination of the recording settings and my ‘studio’, which gave a ‘flat’ result- like an over exposed photo with very little detail or contrast.

And sorry Frithjof for having to remove your ‘like’ and generous (!) comment.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    No problem. I still like it.
    And nothing to say against a second great version.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS

I forgot to say too, that the bodhran track has what appears to be a slight swing to it (to my old ears) which took a while to work out how to play with the octave. (Swing on D-U)
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A wonderful video for a very nice musical accomplishment!
  11. Alcluith
    Alcluith
    Simon

Lovely playing a great lively tune.
    can you share the dots for "Among the Crows and Rooks" it a lovely tune and I would like to share this.

Alcluith
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hi Alcuith, glad you like it, and looking forward to hearing your version, here’s the pdf of the tune on my dropbox.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s5989u9mi...Rooks.pdf?dl=0
    It is on thesession too.
    Also I often put a .abc text of the standard key in the description of each vid.
    -Standard, often G or D major, so that people can get the standard, and often easiest fingering for mandolins.

I played it on the octave with capo at the fifth fret, so here it’s in C instead of G which is the standard key, written on the pdf.
    Have fun!
  13. Alcluith
    Alcluith
    Simon

thank you for the dots Never seen it on the session. I will learn this but I do not record, not yet anyway but maybe in the future.

Alcluith
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oops sorry Alcuith, I’ve just looked on thesession, not there.
    No idea where I found it... may have been from abcnotation or on a batch file that some kind soul had shared.