Newbie, not new

1. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    Hi all, I've actually been a member of Mandolin Cafe for years but the existence of these social groups somehow escaped my attention until just this morning, so I thought I might join and introduce myself.

Although I've been working seriously on the mandolin for a couple of years now, I still count myself a newbie. My arbitrary qualification is until I can reliably play with good tone at 100 bpm, and until I can improvise a basic 8-bar solo (doesn't have to be good, just has to stay in key) - Newbie!

I started learning on a Fender semi-acoustic with terrible action, then moved up to a Kentucky KM-252. After seeing Sierra Hull play a Mandocaster at Grey Fox in 2019, I bought a Gold Tone 5-string electric for fun and I'm gradually learning how to take advantage both of the extended range and the different dynamics of an electric. My newest instrument, which I don't yet have in hand, is a Carvalho octave mandolin. I love the sound that Sarah Jarosz gets from her octave and I got mine specifically because Joe K. Walsh has started an octave mando course on Peghead Nation.

Because I live in the Middle East there's not a lot of bluegrass or roots musicians around. I've tried to collect people to have a jam but so far with no success. And of course the pandemic has thrown up a ton of extra roadblocks for that. So mostly I play alone. Peghead Nation is my main learning tool and Strum Machine is my main accompaniment.

I had planned to attend a Wernick jam camp in California earlier this month, but then Bibi Netanyahu and Hamas started tossing munitions back and forth and my flight was canceled, just my luck. That's also why I don't have that Carvalho yet. I had it sent to an address in the USA both to avoid high customs duty locally and to make sure it would arrive in good time. It's waiting for me.

My question for other newish players - do you find it more difficult to play with accompaniment? I do for some reason. Tunes that I can render note-perfect on my own, I often stumble when playing along with a recording. It's like my ear can't manage to track both my own playing at the other at the same time. Very annoying.

So: Hello!
  2. NDO
    NDO
    Welcome!
    Using your criteria I expect to remain a newbie for a good long time!
    Yes, I definitely find it more challenging to play with an accompaniment with my mandolin. Suddenly you have to coordinate song, key, tempo, strum pattern, and verse/chorus variations or repetitions plus hearing their notes fitting with yours, so your brain is processing more things at the same time. But it’s definitely fun.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Welcome, BadExampleMan! Lots of good stuff in this group. Some silly stuff too.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I'm glad you're here, BEM. I suspect there are at least a few others out there who haven't found the Newbies social group. I know I didn't for a long time. Scott did help a bit by creating a link to the social groups on the main menu. And as long as we have a fair amount of activity, the Newbies will be featured on the main Social Groups page that that link connects to.

I look forward to hearing that Carvalho -- but let us hear the Gold Tone in the mean time!
  5. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    I for one am very happy to have another bad example around here. Welcome!
  6. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Hey there BEM, nice to "meet" ya! Welcome to one of the friendliest and most supportive spots on the Cafe!
  7. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Following Sue's lead, Welcome BEM!