Pipe Major Donald MacLean of Lewis

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Back in 2012 I posted a Soundcloud version of this 6/8 march in the Tenor Guitar section of the forum. My Soundcloud page is long ago closed, but I have recently been playing this tune with some of my live session fellows and thought I would record a new version, on octave and guitar.

2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I didn't know, 6/8 marches existed, but you make it plausible John. Fine playing of a nice arrangement.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    So that’s a jig march? I love it.
    Fine playing John.
    Like a jig with swing and something else.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The version John’s playing doesn’t appear to be on thesession...
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I'm partial to 6/8 marches; they are even more strident and forceful than their 4/4 comrades.
    There appears to be the good old highly repetitive 4-part structure at work that makes you get lost in the piece if you don't stay alert.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A lively and lovely rendition of this march. I always love the sound of your octave, John !! It is nice to hear you getting out with real people. I haven't seen my kid or my dad since before Christmas..I can't even get my hair done and my husband looks like a hippie...
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. 6/8 marches are among my very favourite tunes. (You may have noticed I like playing them standing up, so that I can get the feel of the march)!
    In pipe marches, Christian, there are various time signatures, the most common being 2/4, 4/4, 3/4 (yes - same as waltz time but used a lot in retreat marches) and 6/8.

Simon, the tune is probably not on the Session, and if it were, it would be labelled as a jig. My notation came from a pipe score and I transposed it to standard notation; I added the chords by ear while recording the backing.

Bertram, you know the pipe tune structures well with your observations: four parts and a lot of repetition in this one, the same 4-bar phrase being used in parts 1, 2 and 4. The advantage is that there is less to learn but it is so easy to get mixed up in the parts!

Ginny, the octave in this video is my "other" one. It has a slightly shorter scale length of 512mm as against my usual octave which has a 520mm scale. I was given some lovely Canadian maple hardwood flooring strips by a friend and decided to use some for the fingerboard and with the length I had I needed to make the scale shorter! The back and sides are mahogany rather than the rosewood on my main octave.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Actually John, they have two different listings for this tune on thesession with different versions but the problem is that the melody of the one here that you play, and the way you’ve played it is far superior!
    -and quite different.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played, John! It sounds as if the tune wanted to be played just like that. Very natural and flowing.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis. Simon, the two tunes I see on The Session are a jig and a reel both composed by Pipe Major Peter R MacLeod, who is no relation of PM Donald MacLeod as far as I am aware. I have posted the standard notation I transcribed over on the Thread for Social Group MP3 section, and here, I hope, is the link:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=194489&d=1622587290

11. Alcluith
    Alcluith
    John

your link is not working, it come up as invalid.

Alcluith
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I believe this is the main thread,
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...up-MP3-posting
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Drew, Thanks for the heads-up. I uploaded the file last night, previewed it then must have forgotten to post it! I am not a midnight person and had just been out on my bicycle for an evening pedal. Hope this one works now. For chord suggestions I used Am, G, Em and D(7). Others may well wish to used their own choices. When you click on the link it should download the pdf.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...7&d=1622622381
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, much appreciated, now I can practice this great tune
    -great, my work for today is sorted!
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Very enjoyable indeed - lovely playing John!
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks again John. Great tune.

Here’s the .abc version.
    (Nb. This will get you the tab, but if you play it in an .abc player it will mess up your jig march rhythm)
    X:1
    T:Pipe Major Donald MacLean of Lewis
    L: 1/8
    M:6/8
    K: D
    P:A
    |e|:A3/2B/G A3|e3/2d/g e3/2d/B| A3/2B/A G2B|d2e e3/2d/B |A3/2B/G A3|e3/2d/g e3/2d/B |G3/2B/g e3/2d/B|1A3 A2e:|2A3 A2g|
    P:B
    |:a2e e2g|a3/2e/e e3/2d/B| A3/2B/A G2 B|d2e e3/2d/B|1a2e e2g|a3/2e/e e3/2d/B| G3/2B/g e3/2d/B| A3 A2g:|2A3/2B/G A3|e3/2d/g e3/2d/B|G3/2B/g e3/2d/B|A3 A2e|
    P:C
    |:A3/2e/e d3/2e/e|A3/2e/e e3/2d/B| A3/2B/A G3/2G/G | B/d3/2e e3/2d/B| A3/2e/e d3/2e/e|A3/2e/e e3/2d/B|G3/2B/g e3/2d/B|1A3A2e:|2A3A2e|
    P:D
    |:A2a a3/2g/a|g3/2e/e e3/2d/B|A3/2B/A G2B|d2e e3/2d/B|1G2a a3/2g/a|g3/2e/e e3/2d/B| G3/2B/g e3/2d/B|A3 A2:|2A3/2B/G A3|e3/2d/g e3/2d/B |G3/2B/g e3/2d/B |A3 A2||
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Jill and Simon. Simon, a fine job of creating .abc file from the notation. Your caveat about NOT playing the .abc in an .abc player is a very important one. A 6/8 march is NOT played as a jig. A strong defining feature of the pipe marches is the combination of notes the pipers call "Dot and Cut", a dotted quaver followed by a semi-quaver, seen throughout this tune. The triplets are not played as three equal-value notes (as tends to be the case in Irish jigs) but with the stress on the first of the 3 followed by the shortened 2nd then the "standard" 3rd note of the triplet. Scottish jigs follow this pattern, but again are played faster than the 6/8 march would be played. Jigs are dances and marches are, well, marches.
    The famous "Scotch Snap" so beloved of Scottish fiddlers reverses the Dot and Cut pattern. Don't let it be said that we Scots are not without our quirks.
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Almost missed your very nice recording. Thanks, John.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice bounce, and upbeat.
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks again, Frithjof and Simon.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, I did try to learn this great 6/8 march, maybe sometime soon.