Egan’s Polka

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a simple polka played in two octaves on the same octave, plus a bit of bodhran (a real one) and a recorded D drone for the last bit.
    -yes I’m going to play the tune in three octaves next time!

https://youtu.be/yyHeL7-YpRY

X:1
    T:The Kerry (Egan's Polka) -standard and octave below and thirds
    R:polka
    H:Also played in G
    Z:id:hn-polka-12
    M:2/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    P:Standard Key
    fA BA|fA BA|d2 e>f|ed BA|fA BA|fA BA|d2 e>f|ed d>e:|
    |:fa fe|ed BA|d2 e>f|ed BA|fa fe|ed BA|d2 e>f|ed d>e:|
    P:Octave Below
    FA, B,A,|FA, B,A,|D2 E>F|ED B,A,|FA, B,A,|FA, B,A,|D2 E>F|ED D>E:|
    |:FA FE|ED B,A,|D2 E>F|ED B,A,|FA FE|ED B,A,|D2 E>F|ED D>E:|
    P:Third Above Octave
    AC DC|AC DC|F2 G>A|GF DC|AC DC|AC DC|F2 G>A|GF F>G:|
    |:Ac AG|GF DC|F2 G>A|GF DC|Ac AG|GF DC|F2 G>A|GF F>G:|
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great in both and on the one and only octave! Good rhythm section.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, though I had to replace the first posting.. completely... it took hours. This is posting #2.
    Ginny left a nice comment... on the first posting...
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Well I left another one because I am nice.....just as an afterthought Simon, you can post your YT and set it as 'private' and listen to it a bunch of times to see if you want it the way it is...and then if not, just delete it and put in the new one. You know, just in case you didn't know that. Also if you don't 'save' it, it gets saved as a draft and you can watch it and see if it's right. This morning I had to re-do my thumbnail because the lettering was out of the frame,,so I left in on 'draft' and fixed that and then when it was ok, I clicked 'publish'. Ok, it's my nap time now.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, yes I’m a bit tired at the moment too, what with my drastic Spring exercise program.
    And it took hours to get the technical side (BandLab) reasonable.
    And in the end I didn’t use the thirds nor tremolos that I wanted to stir into the mix.
    And my neighbour was getting back soon.
    And I had the bread baking (smokey machine) but couldn’t open the windows...
    And I had wanted to learn all the parts off by heart, at least to recording proficiency.
    -I sort of know them by ear but can’t completely rely on it.
    And etc...
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    One of the regular tunes in our weekly session here, Simon. Seems a really popular one in so many areas. You make a fine job of it.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, I was wondering about the March-like nature of my rendition.
    -seeing as it’s called a Polka. But I found it in Paul Hardy’s Session book and without doing any research at all, assumed it was played the way I had decided to play it.

Then I did some research, looked at the title. And it was only then that I did actually consider that since it’s called a Polka then it might in all actuality, be a Polka.
    And now I believe, in hindsight as it were, that it actually is in fact a Polka.

So, profuse apologies are proffered to anyone who read the title and quite innocently assumed that they were going to hear a Polka.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I was just surprised Simon had a chair and is actually sitting.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    CC. I just recorded the standard version followed by the octave version (played three times through) and then for the last time through I pasted a duplicate layer of the same instrument so that the ‘two different instruments’ played at the same time...

It was really quick to record- I could have had it from start to YT post in 30 minutes but I then got BandLab involved, then the bodhran and then thirds etc... and then five hours later around midnight... I think to myself, maybe I should re-do it!

Ginny, I wasn’t sitting down, I was leaning over, in order to give a relaxed feeling to the tune.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A pleasant theater of sound and noises, making a perfectly rural and cerealistic impression. In my mind, polkas are always danced to with zombie-walk, and the bodhran at the beginning irresistably supported the image. And now the zombies wear farm workers' overalls - there must be a cameo appearance of Grant Wood any minute...
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram and also, now I know that Grant Wood is an artist, why the zombies?
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    zombie-walk is a dance form. Left leg and left arm forward, then right leg and right arm and so forth. Try it with a polka, works like charm.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok I can do that, but what about pick direction?
  14. phb256
    phb256

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. The Session says this tune is also known as The Kerry. I used that title because I'm not sure how to polka. I should have tried a zombie walk though.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That instrument really goes LOW, Paul. I got the headphones to have a listen the laptop speakers do not deal well with bass frequencies) and it sounded much better through them. When you go up to the higher register the tune gets quite a bit more zing to it. Good left hand fingering - a tribute to your bass playing, I reckon.
  16. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Interesting tune. Simon, I admire your patience with technology, as my lack of patience is one of my shortcomings. Paul, your playing looks effortless.

Enjoyed both versions. Next up: video of zombie walk to this tune?
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Sherry, yes it is a nice tune.

Nice solid playing Paul, I really like the tone you get from your instrument.
  18. bbcee
    bbcee
    @Simon, in order to properly Zombie Walk, I'd love to hear this played as a polka. I mean, c'mon, you owe us disappointed (dare I say cheated) listeners!

Nice work, both you & phb.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bruce that’s no polka!