Florence Killen's Waltz / Cape John Waltz

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Florence Killen's Waltz (Clifford Manley) - 0:00
    Cape John Waltz (Lloyd Tattrie) - 1:33

This is a set of two Canadian waltzes from Nova Scotia. Florence Killen is a fiddler from the town of River John, and the composer of another waltz, the River John Sunset Waltz. However, this particular tune is not BY her but was written and named FOR her, by Clifford Manley, another Nova Scotia fiddler.

Cape John is (unsurprisingly) a peninsula in Nova Scotia adjacent to River John. The waltz of this name was written by another local fiddler, Lloyd Tattrie from nearby French River. Lloyd died in 2015, aged 102!

Both tunes learned from transcriptions by the Ottawa fiddler and band leader Alf Warnock. He appears to have removed the first tune from from his website, but the second is still here (as a set with River John Sunset Waltz, another nice one I have recorded in the past):

http://www.alfwarnock.info/ocb/waltz11.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very nice, Martin.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine tunes combined in a fine set and well delivered, Martin. Thanks too for the pdf.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Frithjof. They're nice tunes, which we also play with our group, using a harmony line from Alf Warnock.

I've now also uploaded my old PDF of Florence Killen's Waltz (with a mistaken composer credit to Florence herself): Link

Martin
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine performance, Martin and thanks for the pdf of these nice waltzes.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Two gentle nostalgic tunes well played, and thanks for the pdf Martin.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, very nice! I didn't know either of these two tunes before. Sunshine, birdsong and nice mandolin music combine to quite a soothing effect.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian/Simon/Dennis. Glad you've enjoyed the tunes. There are several more in a similar vein at Alf Warnock's site -- it's a good source of repertoire, much of it with nice harmonies. We play both of these including the harmonies with our group, but for this recording I decided to keep the arrangement simple. I recorded the River John Sunset Waltz (written by Florence Killen) a few years ago: Link

Martin