Bethany's Waltz

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This lovely three-part waltz was composed for her sister Bethany by Shetland fiddler Jenna Reid, one of Scotland's finest traditional musicians. I heard it played by Jenna some time ago and knew I would like to have a go at playing it. My version is on mandolin, octave and guitar. I recorded the melody tracks first (as usual) then added two guitar tracks for backing and placed the guitar tracks slightly left and right in the final mix.
    I would like to dedicate the tune to Ginny's daughter Bethany, who has helped us on several of our collaborations over the past few years.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay, another SAW group ‘Other’ tune!
    Very nice John, well played it is a lovely waltz, and I especially like the change in the C part.
    Yes it is good to hear younger players posting here as collaborations.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The music is as beautiful as the flowers in the fotos. Wher can I find the sheet musuc?
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Simon and Christian. It is a lovely and rather unusual wee tune. Notation can be found on The Session website, Christian. There are four variations of the tune posted there. Just access the site and then search for the tune in Tunes section.

You can listen to Jenna playing it on YouTube with the group Filska. . Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/MZ2TSPyRWaw

5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    John... That was TIGHT! Beautiful!
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Wow, John, what a beautiful piece of music. Great work on melody and accompaniment.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is one clockwork masterpiece of instrument deployment, John, every register doing its job, like there couldn't be any other way to do it without compromising perfection. The mere beauty of it demands either a brisk walk around the block or a dram or both.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sincere thanks, all three of you. Bertram, I had a brisk walk earlier today in the heat, so that just leaves the dram now! Slainte.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I liked John's rendition so much that I also wanted to record this waltz. My version is just a steel string guitar strumming the most basic chords available at the Session and my bowlback playing the melody in swing eighths:
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting version you have created here, Christian. We have produced two quite different interpretations, and neither of us plays it in the way Jenna does on her own recording. You certainly got your recording put together quickly from downloading the notation to getting the video created.
  11. Kevin B
    Kevin B

This was a tune on the Tunesday Tuesday Facebook group recently. Here’s my attempt on octave mandolin. Sorry about all of the background noise, especially the parrot.
  12. JLewis
    JLewis
    That was great, John.

ADDENDUM: Yours too, Christian and Kevin. Takes me a year or so to get that much of a tune in me, but you can still make a clam chowder from my playing. Love the tune. I'm gonna give it a try.
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Christian and Kevin. It's nice hearing numerous versions of a beautiful tune, such as this one.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, JL. Another interesting delivery, Kevin. I liked your change of rhythm for the third part, and I am sure the parrot was beginning to learn to whistle along with you.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Christian, that's one fresh'n'loud version. That pony looks like a knight that successfully fought its way up through a chessboard

Kevin, your parrot is on to something, getting better at whistling along. One of these days it will write a song, mark my words
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Gents! Nice nostalgic tone Christian and great atmospheric playing there too, Kevin.
    -that bird was having fun, joining in.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I thought they were all excellent. Great playing.