Trills and Turns

1. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    A couple of months ago someone—Sherry, I think—was asking about trills and how they differed from tremolo. I was listening to this video earlier today, and this woman has the best trills imaginable on a mandolin. The second movement, the allemande, which starts at about 2:50 is full of exquisite trills. The sarabande, fourth movement has a couple trills plus a bunch of turns too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnd2EkHvT2Q
  2. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Thanks, Louise. Informative!
  3. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    So a trill involves changing the note on alternate strokes while a tremolo holds the same note?
  4. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Exactly. Tremolo is a right-hand technique while a trill on a mandolin requires a ridiculous amount of coordination between right and left.
  5. NDO
    NDO
    Wow Louise, that was beautiful (and informative). I begin to see why you like playing classical music.
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks, Louise. I enjoyed that. I have seen Victor Kioulaphides mentioned in the main forum, but never followed the links to hear his compositions. After hearing the suite, I think I will listen to more of his work.

I noticed the anti-skid pad Ms. Zabavskaya uses. Difficult to see with it being color matched with her black gown. It is a very useful accessory.
  7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Louise, I believe I was the one who posted about those. Turns out there's a piece in the SAW group entitled "Humphreys Waltz" that has trills (vs. mordents, I believe) and one slide. I never played either until Barbara had me work on the version with these embellishments (vs. the plain version I had been working on). She also had me play hammer ons in places with a sixteenth note followed by a dotted eighth note. Gerald, another of my teachers, told me those are not hammer ons but are to be played as written. As I continue to work on the piece to post a video to the SAW group, I'm having to unlearn what Barbara had me playing.

Henry, I also noticed that pad, as Sue probably did as well.

Back to hammer ons and pull offs, it appears, from my brief research, the symbols for these are slurs.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Louise. I listened to the video, thought it was beautiful, and shared it with Barbara.
  8. NDO
    NDO
    I noticed that skid pad right away, after all the posts about it a few months ago!
  9. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Her pad is the same as mine. It's the bomb. Notice how her mandolin only moves with her and not by itself. Definitely helps. Especially (I'd imagine) with a mandolin shaped like a beach ball
  10. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sheet music for Kioulaphides' compositions, including Suite for Ali, is posted here, if anyone is interested in looking at it. He is very generous about making it publicly available.

Sue, didn't you split one of those non-slip gizmos with someone else? I wish they were available stateside.
  11. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    On the recommendation of Tim Logan, who gave it to me, I cut it in half so that you can put one half over each leg (but sometimes I just use half of it). Tim lives in Massachusetts; I feel like he ordered it in from overseas. After seeing the video, I don't think I'd cut it if I had a bowlback.