Adverts on Youtube videos

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This may be old hat, but I have only just noticed that Youtube have changed their terms and are now showing adverts on some (but not all) videos, even if the uploader has deliberately chosen not to monetise the videos. I noticed this when I watched some of my old uploads of public domain music, and adverts were showing even though my channel is not registered for monetisation and the videos do not have a copyright notice.

I'm not sure how Youtube selects the videos that will have adverts showing, as it doesn't seem to affect all of my videos and doesn't seem to be related to popularity or ratings. As far as I can tell, this is a new thing that started in the US last November and outside the US in June this year.

If they're showing adverts on my videos anyway without paying me, I might as well join their monetising scheme. Except that they have changed eligibility requirements to join, so that you now need to have 1000+ subscribers (which I do) as well as 4000+ watched hours in the past 12 months (I'm currently on 3300 or so). Below this, they can show adverts and not pay you a penny!

So, if you see ads on any of my videos, it's Youtube having become greedy, not me!

Martin
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Videos you make can be sampled by others unless you opt out of that default option as well. The opt out section is buried deep down in the menus. I went back and changed it on each and every video on my channel. It took some time because there were a couple hundred of them! Not sure anyone would even want to sample any of my videos anyway, but I still did it. Google is determined to make lots of $ off of YouTube. Notice how they want you to subscribe all the time. One day free YouTube will be no more I predict.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Michael and I have both mentioned this just yesterday on his Parchment Farm Blues thread, Martin. It started during the past few weeks. I too have no intention of monetising (and do not have anywhere near the required number of subscribers anyway). We will watch, and as Michael says, wait for it to be no longer free. I can see why they might want to have some recompense for hosting our videos - no such thing as a free lunch!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Michael. I missed your mention of this new policy in the Parchment Farm Blues thread -- I've only just caught up with that one. At the moment, the selection of videos that it applies to is really random and doesn't seem to include my newer uploads, but once a video has been selected an advert will appear every time. I expect they will gradually expand this to all videos, except that they specifically exclude any controversial content on the grounds that it may be "brand damaging" to advertisers. So maybe we should start every video with some choice swear words or a flat earther rant...

Martin
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I noticed earlier this year that all my videos now have ads despite my intention not to monetize. Check out this article from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoe...ww2H5mvxyaAje0

According to the article, it started in November of last year. I qualify for monetization but I still don't want to participate, I object to the ads even if it means I don't earn any pennies.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Stinking Google Adverts now pasted over my educational vids too.
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I just recorded another version of Nobody's Darling On Earth. The first version from the Saw Mountain String Band recorded years ago did not receive a copyright strike. The second version recorded last week, with the same words and music, did receive a copyright strike. YouTube said I didn't have to do anything, but that they were going to put ads on my video and implied that any money collected, in part, would go to the copyright holder who they didn't name. I checked, and Nobody's Darling On Earth was written by Will S. Hays. In 1870 the sheet music was published. This song is in the public domain. Apparently, some of the later copyright holders of songs that are essentially very similar caused the copyright strike on YouTube. This whole process was carried out during the checking portion of uploading the video to my channel.

So, I don't have to do anything, but my video may have ads placed on it to maybe "pay" the real and unnamed copyright holder(s). Even though the song is in the public domain. Suspicious what?
  8. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Michael Pastucha wrote: ... "written by Will S. Hays. In 1870 ... public domain. ... later copyright holders of songs that are essentially very similar... my video may have ads placed on it to maybe "pay" the real and unnamed copyright holder(s)."

Michael, I would recommend that you dispute the claim. Don't let fraudulent music-industry scammers make money off of YOUR playing! Do it on principle even though it may take a minute or two to click through the various things required to contest the copyright claim.

I've only had reason to do this twice, several years back. Once was because of some copyright-troll's fraudulent claim on me playing my own arrangement of a 200-year-old public domain instrumental piece. Fortunately, disputing claims was quick and easy. In each instance, about a month later, YouTube emailed me that they'd dropped the copyright claim.

A new thing I've noticed the last several years with copyright claims, though, is that YouTube no longer emails you copyright claim notices - instead they just let someone claim copyright of your video without notifying you. You have to occasionally manually check the appropriate area in your YouTube account's info panel to see the current copyright status of each of your videos, to see if any of them have changed copyright status.

Martin wrote: "Adverts on Youtube videos"

About their new policy of ads on everything regardless of copyright, yeah that sucks. I hate thinking that my viewers might think I authorized any such ads, because I haven't and never will.

The computers I maintain here at the house all run adblockers, as has been the case for a very long time. So we don't have to see ads on other people's stuff. But probably many people don't even know about adblockers. And some websites are becoming increasingly cagey about detecting and blocking the adblockers, it's like a cat-and-mouse game to see who can prevail, the advertisers or the rest of us. (I have always blocked ads for security reasons, because so many of them over the years have been infested with various forms of malware that can harm one's computer.)

Too bad YouTube is essentially a monopoly. What else is there, Vimeo? I haven't tried Vimeo, is it just as bad but in different ways? Even years ago when I used to have my own website and domain name, I wouldn't have been able to post videos on my own website because it was a budget site with low bandwidth caps (too many video views would have resulted in me paying the webhost $$ over-usage fees, thus I would have been losing more money with each additional view - clearly not a monetizing strategy! Lol) as videos gobble up lots and lots of bandwidth. At least YouTube doesn't charge for bandwidth, so maybe it's not all bad...

Martin wrote: ... "they specifically exclude any controversial content on the grounds that it may be "brand damaging" to advertisers. So maybe we should start every video with some choice swear words or a flat earther rant..."

Lol! You might be onto something there. Except then your videos might be adorned with flat-earther ads ("Build Your Own Rocket! Amaze Your Friends, Prove Earth Is Flat!") and ads for "Learn The Best Swear Words In 10 Languages!" There's a market for everything, it seems.
  9. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Michael Pastucha wrote: "Videos you make can be sampled by others unless you opt out of that default option as well. The opt out section is buried deep down in the menus. I went back and changed it on each and every video on my channel. It took some time because there were a couple hundred of them! Not sure anyone would even want to sample any of my videos anyway, but I still did it."

Yup I did that too. Not really interested in having pieces of my videos thrown into compilations of a bunch of other people's stuff. (I mean, not that anyone is likely to do that anyway, given the type of things I post, but still.) Of course it's possible to recombine portions of other videos with just a regular desktop video editor program, no YouTube sample feature required, but it seems to me that the new Sample feature just makes it easier for people to steal other people's work without giving them credit for it.
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Besides this advertising idiocy, youtube is a cesspool of conspiracy theorists and nutjobs of all sorts. Thinking of pulling my videos off of there.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I'm with you there Don. Luckily the SAW group is only populated by mandolin fanatics... and polite ones at that!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I only started my YT channel as a means of posting here on the SAW group - and that was over ten years ago! I have sometimes looked at Vimeo videos and wondered how that vehicle works compared to YouTube.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No problem, we just record one A and B part per post and triple the tempo. Get that sucker down to 20 seconds...
    See you guys on Tik Tok.
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I put an ad blocker on my computer so I'm good with listening - but I don't know how long it will work before the YouTube powers strike it down. That doesn't however help the listeners, just in case someone wants to listen to my songs. I'm still fighting the effects of the Vertigo attacks but it seems to be getting better, slowly..thank you. I've tried to catch you all at least on YT to comment, sorry if I have missed anyone.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Mike Romkey from this group has used both YouTube and Vimeo in the past. He may be able to explain the similarities and differences, in case anyone is thinking of switching.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Has anyone else noticed their watermark had disappeared. I know at least John and Stuche had them..I don't see them anymore even after re-setting all the things to make a watermark.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    MIne is still on my videos, Ginny - the wee picture of two mandolins in the bottom right of the videos.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    [VIMEO][/VIMEO]I checked Vimeo, it’s free if you post less than 500 megs a week. I put up a 2 min vid of Off to California and it was about 360 megs.
    I find it difficult to navigate, the search function gives odd but interesting results.
    The Vimeo+ is 85 euros a year.
    Another thing I like is that you can chose to view vids offline and also there’s an easy download function.

Not sure what YouTube costs if you want to remove adverts. You’d think that if you have a low view rate then it wouldn’t cost much to remove the low number of adverts...
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Ginny, I did a quick internet search for watermarks on YouTube videos... apparently there is a new method to apply them. There are a bunch of YouTube videos which will tell you how!