Week #551 ~ Rakes of Mallow

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's poll winner is Rakes of Mallow, which is an Irish Traditional tune.

According to session.org, this tune is also known as known as Balls Up, Galway Piper, High Could Cap, Jolly Sailor, La Pitoune, Lhigey, Lhigey, Mallow Fling, Na Racairide Ua Mag-Ealla, Notre Dame University Fight Song, Piping Tim Of Galway, The Rakes Of London, The Rakes Of Mall, The Rakes Of Malta, The Rakes Of Marlow, The Rakes Of Mellow, The Rigs O’ Marlow, The Rigs Of Marlow, Romping Molly, Tim’s Reel, What A Bloody Balls Up.

Here is a link to eleven settings of this tune on thesession.org.

This tune has also been covered as an "other tune"..... here's the link to that discussion
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Kicking this week off, here is a fairly straightforward version. Played on the Vinaccia, with octave mandolin accompaniment. The OM part is broadly based on the bass line in Evelyn's setting, but is largely chordal with a few passing notes. Using the OM as rhythm instrument instead of my usual tenor guitar gives it quite a different character. I played around with adding Evelyn's harmony as well, but decided it sounded better without.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin

Martin
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Martin, I like the authentic tone you put into this tune.

Here’s the tune I recorded before. I may record it again but I have so many tunes I’m working on, all at the same time…
    Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/gD64TEQdAR8
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Already two contibutions to the official SAW-thread!
    Martin gives the tune some nice classical flair, while Simon does a fine duet with his octave mandolin and his feet.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks CC, though I have a ‘better’ rendition coming up soon, it’ll be a whole fun cacophony of odd instruments.
    Maybe some whistling and also the tuned glass bottle too...
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two different and distinctive versions already, and congratulations to Martin and Simon for posting them. Here is my take on the tune, with The Soldier's Joy sandwiched between. I thought of the pairing as the Rakes were, I believe, an irregular militia group in Ireland noted for their excesses.

Played on mandolin with guitar backing track, Mallow in G and Soldier's Joy in D.

7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Catchy tune and nice renditions. Simon, I'd enjoy seeing you clog while playing.
  8. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Nice segues, John. I enjoyed seeing everyone's handwork. Thanks for that.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice bouncing rhythm John and very Scottish sounding!
    And thanks, I didn’t know about the tune’s history. Sounds like a The Squirrel Hunters tune.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, John and Simon! I think it is traditional to play this one with foot stomping or whatever else ad hoc percussion is around.

John: Funnily enough I was also thinking about partnering this one with either Soldier's Joy or The White Cockade. It's that sort of tune. The explanation I found for the tune title was that Mallow was a well-known spa town in the 18th century, with a fair bit of raucousness and living it high involved when taking the waters.

Martin
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Three nice recordings. Thanks, Martin, Simon and John.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions everyone. Didn't know that Mallow was a spa town back in the day - my favourite thing about it is that's where The Donkey Sanctuary is located!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. A fun tune to play indeed.
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great work by everyone. A fun tune to listen to. Jill, do the donkeys get to go to the spa too? I think that is awesome.
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    @Ginny - the donkeys seem to be living the life at the Donkey Sanctuary - the whole place is like a spa for them! They have an adoption programme and we'll probably be getting a some donkeys from them in the not too distant future.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Now 3 verry different and enjoyable versions! Love the inclusion of Soldiers Joy, John. That was the first song I ever performed on stage. All alone, solo, and 7 years old.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    History of the spa, with special mention of the song:

https://www.discoveringireland.com/mallow/

Martin
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The tune is new to me but sounds very familiar. This is what I can deliver after a hiking day in the Austrian Alps.

Not very steady but hopefully syncro with my selfmade percussion. I laid a piece of tree bark and some twigs on the lawn.

19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, I love the crunchy percussion, and fine, gentle performance.
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Frithjof, and you look very relaxed in this one. As far as the wood bark and twigs on the lawn go, you can always clear them up with one of the Rakes! Sorry, could not resist that pun!
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Looking relaxed and mellow Frithjof. (Sorry)
  22. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    And a Cool version
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I enjoyed listening to this and want to live where Frithjof lives. I stayed in Switzerland many years ago for a while and was sorry when it was time to move on. I'd love to sit on that bench and play songs in the mountains. ( sigh....)
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks all.

Simon - it sounds like it sounds. I would be astonished if you recognise a driving beat in my recording.
    John -
    Frank -
    Ginny - I live in an (almost) big town surrounded by flat landscape. I'm fine with that. But I like the Mountains so much. That's why I escape into the Alps as often as I can.
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I mean the Rakes of Meeellow Frithjof, is a mellow tune. Another pun (sorry).
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Okay, okay - now I got it. A little late indeed but some times my brain need a bit of help.
  27. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I know the name of that tune from a Bluegrass guitar instruction book, I bought about 25 years ago. Finally I hear what it is supposed to sound like.
    John adds a tasteful version with guitar backup, while Frithjof plays a solo rendition sitting on a bench in the Austrian Alps. Both fine videos, Gentlemen!
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Christian.
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks from me too, Christian.
  30. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump