Carolan's Devotion (Miss Fetherston)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is one of the few tunes by Turlough O'Carolan that were published in his life time, in Daniel Wright's book "Aria di Camera" (London, 1727, No. 42), subtitled ”being A Choice Collection of Scotch, Irish & Welsh Airsfor the Violin and German Flute by the following masters Mr. Alex. Urquahart of Edinburgh, Mr. Dermot O'Connar of Limrick, Mr. Hugh Edwards of Carmarthen”. According to legend also the only tune he wrote with English words, as Miss Fetherston did not speak Irish.

Based on the setting by Allan Alexander in his book "Celtic Music for Mandolin".

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Wunderschön = wonderfully beautiful!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. It's not a Carolan tune one hears very often and it challenges you to make musical sense of the notation, but it's very rewarding to play. There are also wonderful recorded versions by John Sheahan and by Derek Bell, neither of them sounding very much like each other, or like the notated music...

Martin
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I am really enjoying those latest postings with just your mandolin and tenor, Martin. This one sounds so clear and the instruments are so well balanced (I am listening on good headphones).
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sounds great with the two instruments Martin and nice phrasing and melody too.

Uh oh, I just did some mixing for a tune using bad earphones John, I’m hoping the drones aren’t too loud!!