La Romanina

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a fast waltz, also called "La Bella Romanina", written in 1937 by Eldo Di Lazzaro to words by G. Micheli and R. Micheli. As a song, it has been recorded by Connie Francis, Claudio Villa, Luciano Tajoli, Alvaro Amici, Carlo Buti and others.

My instrumental version is based on the arrangement by the late Matteo Casserino (1911-2001), the mainstay of the Italian sessions at Caffe Trieste in San Francisco. His original recording, and hand-written music chart, are available at:

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/

The same arrangement is also (in neater typesetting and with added harmonies) in Sheri Mignano's invaluable book "Mandolin Melodies".

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That's really a fast waltz, but you make it sound easy, Martin.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian. It's fun to play a fast waltz now and then. The tune is fairly easy, so the tempo isn't that much of a problem for the mandolin, but strumming chords in time at around 170bpm takes some getting used to, especially with the intermittent bass runs in the C part. Listening to Matteo's recording first helps a lot in understanding the tune. There are also a lot of vocal versions on Youtube, all at about this tempo.

Martin
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just the sunny tune I needed on a really wet, overcast day here, Martin. Warm, Italian and an antidote to the grey skies currently obscuring my view.
    Thanks too for the link to Matteo's playing.
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great waltz played on a really beautiful sounding mandolin! Thanks
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Next to your fine playing on the Vinaccia mandolin I like these intermittent bass runs.