The Dead March

1. bbcee
    bbcee
    Just in time for Halloween/Day of the Dead/All Saints Day is the latest offering from me and Don Greiser, this time of a great Bill Monroe tune. I crashed and burned on figuring out the harmonies. Don did a super job arranging & performing them on mandolin, 'dola & octave mandolin, as well as turning in a terrific OM solo. Hope you enjoy.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent sounds coming from these entertaining masks and skulls. Love the harmonies and the mando tones. Sweet and bright.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great tune, Don and Bruce, and a super arrangement. You play really well as a duo. Are you as far separated as I am from Ginny - Scotland and Canada?
  4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Ginny and John. Bruce is in Spain and I'm in New Mexico, so we are probably as far apart as you and Ginny.

The Dead March is a tune Bill Monroe learned from his Uncle Pen and included on his "Uncle Pen" album. Bruce has the mandolin melody (first and last time through) and the mandolin improv. I'm doing the harmony parts, octave mandolin rhythm and melody. Bass by iRealPro. Last time through is 3 part harmony. Bruce made the video.

I learned the harmony to this at Monroe Camp this year, so I had a head start on it.
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Really fine work gents!!!!
  6. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thank you for the nice words, all. I heard this tune fairly recently on the Butch Baldassari album Travelers (I'm still catching up on the classics), and the harmonies really caught my ear. This one was a gas to do - I always look forward to hearing how Don fleshes out the song after I send over my parts, and this one was even more so with the stacked harmonies.

Don & I have figured out the time zone difference and throw things back and forth pretty efficiently, John, as you & Ginny have. Viva La Internet!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing and really nice harmonisation, I really enjoyed that, thanks.
    And I love those funny masks too!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Really great playing guys!
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds really nice guys!
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Simon, Michael, and Christian. Appropriate tune for this time of year.