Acquired a Gibson tenor banjo

1. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    A mentioned a few weeks ago I finally got the two manuscripts I was working on at work-work done and into the journal so had time to get looking for that Gibson tenor banjo.

I found one. Things went more or less the way I had hoped and I was actually lucky too.

A few years ago I bought a neck from a 1929 Gibson TB-3 mastertone and it has been just hanging in my office -- crying for attention.

Well things fell into place last week end when I saw a 1964 Gibson TB-100 hanging in the Guitar Center outlet here in town. It played very well, sounded good, the price was more than right, and it had the original case with it so I bought it on the spot.

Then I spent about 6 hours in the shop Saturday night fitting the TB-3 neck to the TB-100 pot.

It was not so simple as the TB-3 neck was cut for the old-style two piece flange and the TB-100 is the 60's Gibson style one piece flange. So I had to carve the notch on top out, and cut the indent on the top and then add about 1/8 inch of new wood to the bottom on the neck. Once it fitted up clean and true to the pot I had to shave on both the top and the bottom of the neck wood until the action was right and the neck was exactly straight and centered. The TB-3 neck was just a tad thinner that the TB-100 but that was not a big issue.

I was very happy with my first effort in banjo luthery -- I end up with a terrific set up (IMO) it plays like a dream. The banjo player over at the Guitar Center checked it out and said it was about prefect so I'm happy.

I still have to buy a new clear skin for it and then probably the pot turned and a tone ring fitted as the neck says "Mastertone". But that will need to be done buy a professional. Not 100% sure I'll do that though because it sounds really good as is.

I will attach a video of this instrument playing some simple song soon on this string -- I just need to work out a couple of tunes -- I can get through them OK but still have blind spots and clams. My biggest thing seems to be the pick "catching" on a string and beaking my rhythm. I have no idea what causes that!!!
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Congrats on your new banjo!

As to the pick "catching" - what thickness of pick are you using? I only run into that problem when I'm using a pick that is too thick (right now my preferred pick is the Clayton in .50mm)
  3. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks for the suggestion and comments.

I know you mentioned that idea before and I think that I do need to get something with a bit more flex it in. I've been using D'Andrea Proplec's and Wegen TF-140's same as for mandolin. These are very stiff of course.

For sure these TB strings are certainly a totally different feel -- "looser" with more give that the mandolin strings (obviously I guess).

In fact the banjo strings feel even more complient and then the ones on my tenor guitar so I know that I need to try some different things approaches and picks.

Where do you buy the Claytons? I think I'll give them a try.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Oh, I think you're gonna find a world of difference once you move down to a lighter pick! I've seen the Clayton 50mm online in little bulk packs (12 per pack maybe?) - I'm thinking it might've been at Elderly...
  5. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Oh Yeah!!!

I went rumaging through all the picks I have in big jar down in the shop -- there's hundreds collected over the years. I used a digital gauge to pick out 0.5mm picks.

They are a big improvement in ease of action as well as sound -- you do not have to use nearly as much force on the TB strings so you still get the sound. No more sticking -- that seems certain! Good banjo medicine!!

I looked at the Clayton web site and they make several models of picks. The "Black Ravens" and the "ULTEM gold" series look attractive and for both models the description sounds like what I want -- and both have a 0.5mm version. Which model do you use? Thanks.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I use either the black ones or the red ones in .50mm. Another pick I've used and liked are just the .60mm light grey Jim Dunlop nylon ones - available in blister packs from Elderly etc, in just about every music shop I've ever been in too. They're not quite as crisp sounding as the Clayton's, and a wee bit less bright - I ended up using the Claytons exclusively because they sound the best with my Stromberg open back tenor.
  7. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks for all the advice and info. Jill. I am amazed at how much progress compared to before I made switched to that lighter/thinner pick. I am actually playing tunes now albeit slowly. I might feel confident enough to post something simple like "Under the Double Eagle" tomorrow.
  8. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    I tried to record Cold Frosty Morning a few minutes ago and it was pretty rocky I was playing it better last night. But I just thought I invite some suggestions....

Like on technique would you be running the fourth finger down to the 7th fret like I am trying to do with limited success -- or would it be better just so slide the ring finger down there? etc.

I'll repost this tune in a few days when I've played it more -- Jill you suggestion of the light pick helped a lot.

This post used to have an embedded video which I accidently seem to have deleted on YouTube while editing the text -- I will attempt to fix this this evening.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    On the tenor banjo I usually play notes on the 7th fret with my little finger, but I also know folks who prefer to slide their ring finger down to the 7th instead - I say go with which ever method allows you to best play the tune cleanly and smoothly.
  10. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Oh Boy! It looks like I either corrupted or deleted the video trying to edit the text -- and YouTube will not let me repost it -- saying its a duplicate. I think the YouTube software thinks it is still there -- so I'll wait a couple of hours and try again or I'll just re-record it and post again later -- sorry about that.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bernie, am just getting around to checking this site after my absence! Congats on the TB, I'm sure you'll love it! Yes, I use those thin picks, too.... the one I'm using, I have no clue what it is, other than thin! Another thing I've noticed about playing the TB, is that you really have a light touch with the left hand, too, or it distorts the note! Looking forward to seeing and hearing yours! Also, looking forward to getting back home where MY TB is, so I can play it!