Tech query

1. John W.
    John W.
    I’m not able to view videos in MC at the moment…is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing the same problem. I think I installed updates on my iPad yesterday…so not sure of this has caused the problem…???
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I've just tried viewing some videos here and not having any issues, so it's possibly the update that's causing the problem. Not tech savvy enough to suggest what the issue might be but maybe someone who is will see this and have an idea!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s most often the updates John, but if you provide as much detail as possible, type of deviceS used, geographical location, other software recently installed, wifi connection, and browser type then it can sometimes help others even if they don’t reply.
    Good luck!
  4. John W.
    John W.
    Ok, if it is of any assistance…device is standard iPad 7th Generation; I’m located in Cheshire, England, UK; updated iMovie via apple apps during last day or 2; iOS update was 15.1; broadband provided by BT; and using Google chrome…
  5. John W.
    John W.
    Additional note… I can see some videos in some threads…and no videos in others…
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Safari prob gets updated at the same time as other native apps on iPad, Chrome doesn’t, and you do use the YouTube app, some of the older vids have been deleted or updated by their owners over the years.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Yeah, especially with the older threads it's quite common for some of the videos (including some of my old ones) to have been deleted - I went through my youtube channel awhile back and deleted some of my older videos that I was no longer happy with.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh don’t remind me Jill, I heard a track one time that was really rough but just beautiful. Amazing.
    I played it over and over, loved it, and then one day because it had a lot of views I suppose, the owner replaced it with the new, improved version… which was nice.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So frustrating when videos cannot be accessed, John W. I am a Windows user so cannot offer you any help re Apple devices, but I hear from friends who use it that the updates can cause problems with some sites. SOmetimes the message that appears on the video when you click on it can give some clue as to why it is not playing, and as Jill and Simon say, videos can be deleted over time - I have done this myself with ones I was not happy with.

I wonder if the way we post on the SAW Group, only using part of the YT url for the tune, has anything to do with the video not being accessible? People do sometimes post using the whole url rather than just the part to the right of the forward slash. Updates can be a problem in themselves. I stillrecord on an old laptop which runs Windows XP, which I found to be very stable and very suitaed to my recording methods and the doftware I use (REAPER). I donot have internet connection on this laptop as XP has not been supported for many years now and could well pose security risks if trying to go online, but otherwise I like it and it works!

Hope you find a resolution soon.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks for your considerations/suggestions guys and gals…. I have come across videos not being available to me on MC. However, the problem I am encountering is more than that…these are videos I could see in recent days…and, for eg. the videos as I have posted today I cannot see… Strange… but, that’s I.T….forever challenging and frustrating…
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Not sure what the issue with the video is. A clue may be in which ones you can and cannot see: as John K has said, there are two different ways of posting videos here, with somewhat different way of displaying them. Can you see my videos? They are all posted using the "Youtube" button under "Go Advanced", rather than "insert video".

Incidentally, John W: if you're in Cheshire you may be pretty close to me -- I'm just over the Welsh border into Flintshire.

Martin
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks, Martin…very mysterious this one…
    For example, I could see your Carolan vids the other day, but now I can’t….nor can I see your Mazurka.
    I can, though, see Jason’s vid posted yesterday re The Amorous Goddess…

I’m north Cheshire…so not too far from Flintshire.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another one is to delete all cookies and do a shut down/restart.
    I have 15.1 now with no noticeable probs but I do occasionally have to clean up Safari, and have always had that thing where you say something to a friend or family on WhatsApp and then get related advertising on Youtube. (People used to say the KGB were bad! This is a million times worse, or not)
    Ok back to the tunes. Good luck.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    And would you believe it! I posted the last message and I changed the background on my iPhone Safari shortcuts Page, switched off pop-ups, switched on IP address hiding, and switched on ad block. Now I have the same issue, I can't see any of the videos, just the links. Hmmm, 15.1 on Safari on an iPhone X, and Firefox.
  15. John W.
    John W.
    Bad luck Simon… I’ve searched the web re issues following 15.1…of which there seems to have been many…but at the moment the only issue I am having is viewing vids on MC…an issue possibly a little specific to contact apple about…???
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nope, lots of rummaging around, still can’t see any vids (apart from the Amorous Goddess vid, the tune posted by Jason)

So I’m assuming it's a problem that has something to do with how all of the different browsers on iPhone iOS 15.1 see the links that we embed on MandolinCafe.
    I seem to remember Mike had a problem that was similar to this, I wonder if it resolved itself?
  17. John W.
    John W.
    I can also see Jason’s Amorous Goddess…PLUS, I can also see Oldsausage’s v recent Christmas posting…and a few other vids on that thread…
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, if you use the video icon in the Quick Reply box when you post your video it can be seen on the iPad. If you click the "Go Advanced" button and add the video there instead, iPad users will not see it. This isn't a problem with Apple or the iPad, the Mandolin Cafe website back end code needs to be updated.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John and David, I actually always post my vids using the go advanced button. The old iPad that I use can always see these. Now I'm hoping that everyone else can.

Maybe it's the other way round? That we now need to start posting vids using the quick reply button.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, only the video icon in the Quick Reply box works for the newer iPads. For example, I cannot see your (or Martin's) version of Leviathan Hornpipe on iPad, using either Safari or Chrome. I can see them fine on desktop or Android though. I have tested on multiple iPads and emulators with the same result.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’ve posted the last 240-250 vids using the same Advanced button, so that means that the new iPad and iPhone’s, IOS 15+ can’t see them?

Love your Minecraft in the snow vid by the way!
  22. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks OldSausage…First, is there anyone I can get onto at MC to prompt them to sort out the ‘back end code’? Does Barbara have any direct line to appropriate people/is she able to influence anyone on our behalf? Second, I’ve only been using MC/participating in the SAW group for about 6 weeks…and until the IOS update a couple of days ago (to 15.1) I think I could see all videos…at that point I think I was on IOS version 15… Has the update to 15.1 made the difference?
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s quite a delicate balance between all those involved, and I think the camaraderie is very important, what do you think John K?
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I can confirm that pre-15.1 those videos still worked on iPad. The place for notifying the Cafe admins about these kind of issues is the "Forum Software Support" forum in the main area, and it looks like Simon is already working on it there.
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I hope that someone can figure out what the tech issue is. As was pointed out, I am clueless and with no way to do anything about it. But, there is the place in the regular forum to try to get tech help. I don’t normally access MC and the SAW on my iPhone (8 plus, running version 15.1), but I am at the moment, and cannot see any you tube videos. If I access it on my MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur version 11.6) I can see all videos. On my 3 year old 6th generation iPad running version 15.1, I can’t see any videos. It appears to me that it’s an issue of the iPad/iPhone newest update, as up until recently, I WAS able to view these same videos on my iPad.
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, I'm posting this from my MacBook Air, which can see all the videos that the iphone/ipad users (15.1) can't. I almost always post videos using the 'go advanced' button and then the 'you tube' icon (where you just paste the url after the = sign). Going with what Old Sausage said, if I insert a video from the quick reply, using the insert video, then those ipad/iphone (15.1) users should be able to see it. So, here's a test.... inserting the video for the most recent song of the week poll winner that I posted the other day. (I pasted the entire URL)

27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Follow up from my iPhone, I CAN see the video that I inserted using the quick reply insert video button. Yes, I hope that someone can do something about this, since I would venture to say that the majority of the videos on here have been submitted using the “go advanced” “you tube video” button, since years ago that was how we were told to do it! Otherwise, people are just going to have to access MC on something other than their iPhone or iPad!!
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OK, I went over to the "forum software support' in the regular forum, read what was posted, and read Scott's input on our problem. I did the same experiment over there in the regular forum, to see if it had the same result as in our social group, and it did. I posted the video the previously recommended way (the way probably 95% of our videos have been inserted, and have always been able to be viewed by all viewers)... the 'go advanced/you tube button', and then the 'quick reply/insert video button', and got the same results. When viewing the thread on my Mac Air, I could see them both, when viewing them on my iphone running version 15.1, I could only see the quick reply one. I know this is very discouraging for those who have participated all these years, and submitted hundreds.... thousands.... of videos, now to find out that people using iPads and iPhones running version 15.1, are unable to view the videos! I am NOT a tech person at all, it's all just magic hocus pocus to me... but hopefully, the problem will be eventually solved. My only input right now is to say that if you have the ability to access our site on something OTHER than an iPhone or iPad running ver 15.1, you should be able to see all the videos.
  29. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks v much Barbara, OldSausage and Simon for all your efforts…Barbara, I can see the mazurka vid on my iPad (iOS 15.1). Let’s hope the powers that be can eventually sort it. For now, at least, whatever vids I post I shall aim to use the quick reply route…it would be appreciated if others could do the same (so long as it doesn’t cause them other problems), or at least also provide the full URL so those of us with the iOS issue can view their vid elsewhere.