My first mandolin

1. Poppa Mike
    Poppa Mike

Hi all, I got my first mandolin a few weeks ago. An Ibanez 522DVS bought a a local music store. It was a bit difficult to play at first due to the action being much to high, but after receiving Mr. Meldrum’s excellent e-book I did a setup and improved the playability greatly. I have been enjoying reading through many of the forums and look forward to learning more about these fun instruments.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Nice looking mandolin there, Poppa Mike. Welcome to the forum!
  3. NDO
    NDO
    Welcome Poppa Mike! You’ve come to the right place. Great job doing your own setup!
  4. Poppa Mike
    Poppa Mike
    Thanks folks, when I measured the string height at the 12th fret I realized why it was so hard to play, .098 clearance! I finally got it down to .048 by removing material from the bridge and saddle. I still need to work on the nut some but need to build my nerve a bit before I tackle it.
  5. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome to the Newbies group, Papa Mike! Nice looking mandolin!
  6. Poppa Mike
    Poppa Mike
    Thank you.
  7. Swimbob
    Swimbob
    Welcome to the group Poppa!

That's the same mandolin I started with and yes I had to make some adjustments to get mine playable as well. Enjoy the ride!
  8. CMB
    CMB
    Welcome to the group and congratulations. I'm new, too. I got my mandolin a few weeks ago.
  9. Poppa Mike
    Poppa Mike
    [IMG]IMG]https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=199664&d=1645411706[/IMG][/IMG]I got a bit of a surprise yesterday, my nephew gifted me a mandolin. A Kentucky KM 140. It needs a good cleaning, new strings and the tailpiece cover is missing but is in good shape otherwise.
  10. NDO
    NDO
    And so it begins!
    Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome starts with the second mandolin
    Enjoy your new mandolin!
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Yup. They're kinda like rabbits.
  12. Poppa Mike
    Poppa Mike
    Got it cleaned, waxed and new strings. I sure do like the tone!
    [IMG][/IMG]
  13. NDO
    NDO
    Beauty!