The Lads of Boot

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Could be a pun on ‘The Lad’s About’, meaning the man who meets lots of women?
    From Rutherford’s Country Dances Vol 1. 1756. Northumbrian I think.
    Yes they had some foot tappers in 1756!!

https://youtu.be/7lMeAaSFaBY

X:1
    T:Lads of Boot. Ru1.200, The
    B:Rutherford’s Country Dances Vol 1, 1756
    C:C major was standard
    Z:village music project, Steve Mansfield July 2015
    M:C|
    L:1/8
    W:Gallop down & up again & Cast off .| the same
    W:With the second Couple Lead up to the top
    W:foot it & cast off .|. Right Hand & Left
    Q:2/4=60
    N:B in Mss – ? error in original as every other occurrence
    N: of the phrase is Ae-eg
    K:Dmix
    |:DA-Ac BGAF | DA-AB cC E/F/G/E/ | EA-Ac BGAB | cGGc EC E/F/G/E/ :|
    |: Dc B/c/d BGAF | Dc B/c/d CE/F/ GE | Dc B/c/d BGAB | cGGc EC E/F/G/E/ :|]
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    There is a little village in Cumbria called Boot. Don’t know if that is the reference though. Anyway, jolly well done.
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What an infectious, driving melody! Thanks for this!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    When I was at college in the late 1970’s we had a Geordie (from Newcastle) who would say, ‘Aye, the lads a’boot’ if he saw someone who had been out late the night before and looked like death warmed up with a blinding hangover. This was often a man, but as he explained, not always.

What’s the link and the history of the village of Boot, and the tune? I’ve no idea, maybe nothing!

Maybe the village of Boot was a party destination in the eighteenth century? Like Florida or Chico.
  5. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Wow, Simon! Great rhythm/groove!

- Jess
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice tune, Simon, played with a lot of groove!
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I can only echo the praise of the drive and groove here. Great tune, great playing!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys, I love the slightly disjointed syncopation of this tune.
    I like the Northumbrian tunes for this reason. They’re the 17th and 18th century pop songs.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a cracking tune...
    a party destination in the eighteenth century? Like Florida
    ...and I picture the lasses grinding in their tartan bikinis
  10. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I don't know what's more fun, listening to you play or watching you bounce! But seriuosly, do you dance?
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another really catchy little tune, Simon. You certainly find them with great regularity.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really happy you gents enjoyed it, I have an idea of what the rhythm could be like because I lived near Darlington one time and went to some discos there. (In the 1970’s)
    Very wild, exciting, trance dancing! The 1756 dance instructions are just an effort at domestication. And I imagine it was even more so several hundred years ago. The people I’m talking about.

The transcriber seems to believe that the E in the third measure ( he’s talking about the ‘B’ ) is an error. I don’t think so all.
    I think it’s an attempt by the musician to show another dance move, a change in direction and more syncopation. And there may have been other variations too…