Cape Breton Jig

1. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    My last video of 2021. It has been a good year for my musical journey. What therapy music is!!

I have two mandolin goals for 2022. The first is to work on my tremolo. I'd like it smoother than I already have it and I'd like it to be more relaxed (I need to relax). The other goal is to be able to improvise better so I can jam with other people.

Do you have any musical goals for 2022? Post them below and give some other players some inspiration!

I hope you enjoy this video as much as I enjoyed making it.

As always, TABS available at my website.
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice sounding mandolin and very well played! My hope for the new year is to learn and record more songs and tunes than I did last year... which is kind of a low bar, but as I get older learning new stuff takes more effort!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another very fine bit of playing here, Jason. I like your idea of setting goals here for the coming year. As far as the Cafe and SAW Group are concerned, mine might include continuing to try to find interesting tunes to play and arrange here, and to keep putting up Scottish tunes I want to share with other folk. The SAW Group is such a good platform for posting on and getting really encouraging responses from our members.
  4. John W.
    John W.
    A nice little jig, Jason. As you have sewn the seed of goal setting…I have to extend my music reading and theory knowledge and skills…and I shall aim, via participation in this group, to play/record some tunes in a style that I’m not that familiar with (thankfully, at this stage in my musical instrument playing journey, that won’t be too difficult).
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a nice jig, thank you for uploading the recording. Your playing is very good, so you probably have a good basis for learning more about improvisation. I'm saying "probably" because the truth is that I have no clue! I know practically nothing about improvisation.

2021 was the year I finally started playing reels, after years of avoiding them for being too fast with too many notes. I still don't play them at any great speed, but fluently enough to call the whole thing a reel. My resolution is to record the backlog of tunes I got "nearly" there during the past year.