Week #555 ~ Half Past Four

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Happy New Year's Eve!

This week's poll winner is Half Past Four. I'm not familiar with this tune, so if you are, and have links to provide, that would be great!

I've found this on abcnotation

I've found this on thesession.org

Here are some videos of tunes called Half Past Four

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Half Past Four on mandolin and guitar.

https://youtu.be/I2qkY72Z-WU

3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bruce and I did this tune thinking it was going to win a few weeks ago.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...416&do=discuss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kou3CPj6Cw
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job! The interaction between the instruments is cool and the harmony playing adds lots.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Holy Cow it’s like going to the races, horses everywhere... and they’re off!
    Fine playing guys, the SAW is great!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great playing, and I love the vintage footage on the video!
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    First of all I would wish everyone a Happy New Year. It's been a long time since I posted something in this group. It brings back good memories and one of my New Years resolutions is posting a tune every once and a while.

Half Past Four is a tune I heard on the Harmonic Tone Revealers Album with John Reischman, Scott Nygaard, and Sharon Gilchrist. I love it and I will give my compliments to Don and Bruce with their great version. Your instruments both sound incredible and I like the slower bouncy version with all the special licks in it.

I played my version on my Eastman 815 I bought a couple of months ago. I refretted it last week with Stainless Jescar frets because I love this mandolin so much. It's bright and responsive en the V-neck feels very comfortable.

Here's my version of the tune

8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent, Hendrik, and very good to see you again. That Eastman sounds great and really lets your tone shine through.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Good to see you Hendrik. Happy New Year !! At least you got yours up and posted, I can't mine to work. I have always used that code you gave me years ago and until today it has always worked. I love this song, you are so full of...talent !!
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing as usual, Hendrik. I’m happily looking forward to more submissions by you.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great playing and a great backing, Hendrik. The Eastman sounds super too. Good to hear you posting once again after some time away. Happy New Year!
  12. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Don and Bruce: Very nice, cool harmonies and octave variations.

Hendrick: Love the use of dynamics to create a syncopated toe-tapping rhythm and also how you're so comfortable with the tune that it makes it look effortless.
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a nice delightful surprise to see and hear you play again! You've been missed! Excellent picking on this tune as well.
  14. John W.
    John W.
    Nice playing and nice sounds produced on the respective instruments used Don & Bruce and Hendrick.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    A lovely New Year’s present, very enjoyable with an inspiring, carefree and bouncing rhythm. Nice surprise to see you posting. Hopefully more.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's a great, happy tune for the new year, and two excellent versions to start us off.

Good to see you again, Hendrik! Please stick around.
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Good to see you posting again, Hendrik. Fine playing and a nice tempo.
  18. bbcee
    bbcee
    Yay Hendrik, it's a pleasure to listen to your post, what a nice 2022 gift! Your effortless playing is inspirational, and the Eastman's tone suits the spirit of the song as well.
  19. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for all the overwhelming compliments. It's really heart warming and you all convinced me to post a recording every once and a while.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Bob had a lot of trouble with this one...

21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's the cat's meow, David. The plot thickens.
  22. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Ha! Now that's fun, David! And also nicely played. These just get better and better, hope to see more!

Cool detail with *both* of the clock hands advancing (as they would on a real clock) throughout the video - I suspect that many animators would be content to have only the minute hand move, but I was impressed to see that both of the clock hands moved in your animation.

I was also amused by how the rain let up when Bob left and the cat got the notion to play mandolin, and the rain resumed when the situation was reversed. Clever!

- Jess
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Amazing playing as usual, David. And now this animated story – great fun!
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, Bob is becoming a big part of this group and I really loved his accent on this one. He seems such a lovely wee fellow and certainly knows the value of a tea break; and he has worked so hard to learn the tune. Which part of England does he come from? I am assuming the cat would use clawhammer technique even on the mandolin?
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very entertaining David, and wonderful playing too. Really like the smooth, driving flow.

This is OldTime John, and the accent is from Virginia or the Carolinas, 1730’s.
  26. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Don's and Bruce's version was great! Hendrik, it is so nice to hear you, pretty perfect! That 815 sounds very sweeet. David, I always love the tone your style brings from that Kentucky, and your pick'n is spot on.
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks. John, Bob lives in Babbingtonshire, although I suspect his accent probably comes from his London overspill forebears. And thanks to Jess for spotting those details!
  28. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    How could I miss this thread?
    A great collaboration by Don and Bruce, Hendrik's spectacular comeback and Bob the cat's spot-on picking!
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, David. I had a feeling he was from somewhere in that region of darkest Englandshire; certainly too far south for a Scot. Now you say he has London overspill forebears - I look forward to seeing some of those four bears in the next video production, possibly playing a double bass?
  30. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Malcolm III of Scotland?
    He did a tour of England in 1093.

-made a house call on Robert de Mowbray.
  31. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Well David, this is so much fun. Two great things, I love this style of cartoons and I love to hear you play. The combination of those to are hilarious! I heared this is not the first one and I hope there wil be a lot more to come. Thanks a lot. Now I will look you up on youtube
  32. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    A cup (or, in my case: pot) of tea can solve a lot of problems. Just not necessarily in the way you'd expect. Bob can just let his cat teach him the tune, and they'll both end up sounding like David!

The fun cartoon makes me want to hear Bob's version of the "King of the Hill" theme tune! I used to laugh a lot watching that show as a student.
  33. John W.
    John W.
    Great versions & playing Don/Bruce and Hendrik.

Another very entertaining video David… that cat sure has been feline his way around that mando…and no doubt the streets of that ‘shire outer London suburb…
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    As a preemptive measure:

cataclysmically
    categorizations
    catheterization
    categorization
    catecholamines
    catechizations
    catastrophists
    catastrophisms
    catachrestical
    cataleptically
    catecholamine
    catastrophism
    catastrophist
    catatonically
    catechization
    categorically
    catercornered
    catabolically
    catalytically
    catheterizing
    catholicizing
    catholicities
  35. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oops…
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise, surprise, a video from me! Nothing fancy (mine never are!) played rather slowly twice through on my Collings MT20 mandolin. I had to redevelop my callouses, since it had been forever since I'd played the mandolin!

37. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    So good, Barbara, to see you play your mandolin again. Excellent job too!
  38. John W.
    John W.
    Barbara - Nothing wrong with stripped back, steady-paced, clean picking as far as I’m concerned.
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sweet! So nice to hear and see you playing, Barbara.
  40. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice steady playing, Barbara. Thanks for encouraging me.
  41. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Aye, you still have it, Barbara! Good to see you posting once again. It's been a long time. Lovely steady picking.
  42. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice version and nice playing, Barbara! Looks like it got the Chihuahua seal of approval as well. Thanks for posting!!
  43. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well done, and good to see you back at the mandolin.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump