Waltz For The New Year (Evelyn)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an original waltz written (almost) exactly ten years ago (on 4 January 2012) by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni. I am playing her four-part arrangement as a mandolin quartet on two mandolin, mandola (octave mandolin) and tenor guitar. Evelyn posted the arrangement here on the Cafe as part of her first "Winter's Tale" collection (link). It's been in our group repertoire folder for many year, but I have only recently got my head around how the tune works.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin

https://youtu.be/bhqjy_omc2M

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Successful recording of a seemingly complex arrangement.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. I'm starting the take using only the lead melody and tenor guitar arpeggios, with the harmony parts coming in later, OM first, then second mandolin. I really like Evelyn's melody here, and it makes me wonder why it took me so long to appreciate it.

Martin
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What counts is that you like it now and play it well. We can't all engage with all tunes in the same way. I'm sure we can all name some melodies that took time to grow on us.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a lovely composition, Martin, and has a strong Italian flavour to it, I would say. Fine arrangement and sensitively played and immediately identifiable as a Martin Jonas performance.