Hymn playing with singing

1. CMB
    CMB
    I'd like to be able to play hymns on the mandolin while singing. I realize that some hymns are simple (e.g., Amazing Grace) and could be played with only 3 or so chords. It's easy enough to play the chords and sing in that case. But what about more complex hymns that don't have chord progressions printed in the hymnal? For example, Christ Jesus Lay in Death's Strong Bands is quite a bit more complex. Is there a way to play and sing a hymn like this? I'm able to play the melody—but playing the melody while also singing the melody, is that silly? I don't know the chords, I guess I could analyze it to get the chords, but the number of chords might be excessive (and at this point, I don't know many!). Last night I tried playing the alto line on my mandolin while singing the soprano line/melody. I think that sounds okay, but I'm going to have to keep practicing because it's so difficult. I suppose I could also try that with playing the bass line instead of the alto line. Any tips on this topic? Thanks!
  2. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Based on what I know (which isn't much!), you can usually use the Nashville numbering system to at least get by. That is, if your playing in G, the other two chords would be C and D (counting up from G as number one, then A, B, C (which is number 4) and D (which is number 5). This system would work for whatever key you were playing in. Playing in A, the other chords would be D and E. Usually, the progression is from the base chord, fourth, back to base, maybe fifth, back to base, etc. There are folks here who know a lot more than I do about this. The only way I know to tell you when to switch chords is when it doesn't sound right in the chord you are strumming. You probably already knew all of this. Anyway, good luck!
  3. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    There is a pretty good explanation here: https://ezinearticles.com/?How-Do-Yo...ic?&id=7031059
  4. FredK
    FredK
    SOMorris's suggestion is a good start for many hymns. I normally check out Hymnary.org first for more complex hymns to find out more about it. Then I go to museScore and see if there is notation there. Sometimes they have chords. Google search is another outlet.

For your hymn, Christ Jesus Lay in Death's Strong Bands, there are several scores in museScore but none with chords. Of course, none of my hymnals have chords for it either. All I've found out is that the key is D minor. It's not a hymn I'm familiar with so a more extensive search may pull up something but, from the complexity of the score, it looks like it would work well just playing melody. I, personally, like playing hymn melody, then work on adding ornamentation when it's burned into muscle memory.
  5. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    This has the chords with it. You can transpose as needed:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/graceimmanu...Bands_7x10.pdf
  6. CMB
    CMB
    Thanks for all the tips and links, everyone.

Have you ever tried playing one of the other voices while singing the melody? Is that something people will do when accompanying a hymn while they sing solo?
  7. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I'm not much of a hymn player (I do like playing some more traditional bluegrass/gospel types of songs such as I'll Fly Away or I Saw The Light), but I am not sure I understand your question. Do you mean playing the harmony? Because I think that would work pretty well.
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I can't think of any folks who play significant melody or harmony lines while singing. Multitasking is not something the human brain is wired for. and thus it probably would require significant training, if it is even achievable but mere mortals. Usually the mandolin provides rhythm and adds chords to support the vocals plus maybe some fills. It is interesting that you ask now - the Matt Flinner Old Tme Mandolin I class that just started up is providing a solid grounding on backup in addition to playing tunes.