Tune of the Month

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well, I think it is time to hand over the Tune of the Month to someone else. I hope someone here would like to keep it going. There are no rules about what it needs to be or even that it does need to be, so anyone can take it and run with it.

I look forward to seeing it continue and even to participating from time to time. And I have enjoyed participating and basking in the spotlight of TOM poohbah.

The TOM started in April 2016. I think it was Mark Gunter and a couple others who got it going. A neat lady named "sleet" did the monthly introductions. I started participating a few months later. Sleet handed the monthly job over to me about a year later. Now its time to hand it on to someone else.

So ... Who wants it? I'd hate to see it disappear.
  2. NDO
    NDO
    Hank, thank you sincerely for your efforts doing this! They have been greatly appreciated, even though I haven’t participated as often as I probably should. I’m still taking a pretty haphazard approach to my mandolin journey but having a blast. I don’t begrudge you in the least for wanting to pass the torch, but please know you’ve done a great job and are appreciated for doing it. I really hope someone can step in and fill your shoes (or that you decide to continue a while longer) since I think the tune of the month is a great thing. I’m definitely not the right person to do it though! All my songs have vocals
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    You've certainly done an awesome job and kept it interesting, Henry, I regret that I've been unable to participate more in recent years. The TOM has had a five year run already this time!

Back before HonketyHank and I joined, in the distant past, there was another TOM run, and the newbies in the group at that time were a different bunch. It may be the nature of this group that most folk do not stay long. The originator of the group disappeared long ago. In 2015/16 when I joined here, there had been little activity for awhile ... but there has certainly been a great group of folks and a lot of activity here over the past five years. The only MC social group with more activity than this one is the Song A Week group.

I hope someone will take the mantle from Henry and keep the TOM going. It has been a catalyst in keeping things moving here. I'll happily pop in and try my hand at playing some of them as time and internet connection permits.

BTW I believe SOMorris was around for the earlier TOM version, but I could be very much wrong about that. At any rate, many thanks to everyone who participates and makes the newbies group a great place for mandolin beginners and intermediates.
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    I joined a little bit after HH & Mark, and it really has been a fun run ... I hope it's not a run that's over, but just changing horses to go further.

Thank you Hank - the history you dug up on the tunes was really great, along with you showing up every month.
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks for the kind words. I hope somebody will pick it up.
  6. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    I'm another one who has greatly enjoyed your research into these tunes. You always find something interesting to add to the story. You are leaving big shoes to fill!
  7. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    I can certainly understand you being ready to hand off the TOM, Henry. You have had a long run, but then again, you surely are good at finding examples, posting videos, etc Whom ever picks up the mantle would have to be skilled at that kind of thing, which is not yours truly, for sure!

I was here back in 2015, Mark. That is when I first discovered MC and started trying to learn to play. For me, I can hardly believe I have been plunking since then and am still very much a newbie. I should be playing well by now, but not so. I have trouble staying focused on practicing, but during that time, I have learned to read music and count time (a little bit). Having fun, though, so it is okay.
  8. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hank, anyone take up the job? I might be interested
  9. NDO
    NDO
    Do it Ellsdemon!
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    the job is still open. you have my vote.
  11. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Seconded (or thirded)
  12. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Another vote for Ellsdemon.
  13. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Alright, I'm your huckleberry
  14. NDO
    NDO
    Thank you for stepping up!
  15. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hank, let me know if there are any rules or guidelines.
  16. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    It's all up to you. We have been following the tune list generated by the Song A Week social group. Thus no work to get a consensus on what tune comes next. My predecessor was pretty busy with life outside of the cafe while I am retired and thus have time to do all that tune research and commentary on most of the tunes. Not necessary. She just pretty much announced what the tune was and gave a link to the SAW thread. And everything worked well under her guidance.

Thanks for keeping it going!