Week #557 ~ The South Wind

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The South Wind.

I see that it had a run as an other tune a couple of years ago, here.

And 12 years ago it was part of this medley discussion, here.

And again, 12 years ago, here.

Here is the link for the notation on thesession.org

Since this tune appears in so many places here on SAW, please be sure to post your reply to THIS one, if you want it to be viewed in the "official" tune of the week discussion!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Following from Barbara's suggestion on the SAW Group, here is my version of South Wind from an earlier posting. Played on a guitar-bodied octave I made (now owned by a fine young player over on the Island of Mull) and my Lowden guitar.

https://youtu.be/isqjqZkCWuY
  3. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Just beautiful, as always , as aways John. I hope who ever ended up with your creation, is enjoying it's lovely and unique tone.
  4. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Here is my take on this one. The TABS/Notation for the version I learned is at my website if anyone is interested. pluckinstrings.com

5. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    You made that instrument, John? That sounds fantastic! Love your rendition as well!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done Martin I like the harmonising you have going there.

Sorry about the sound quality on this one, usually it’s background noise from construction workers in the street, this time it was a neighbour in the bathroom and pigeons on the roof.

7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Now that is a very original treatment of the tune, Jason. You certainly pack in the embellishments on this one and you give it a sort of country flavour. Fine playing as usual. Thanks too for comment on the instrument. It is the only guitar-bodied octave I made as I decided to make one using the patterns I used for making a couple of tenor guitars and the scale length was the same.

Your version is back to the more traditional, Simon, like my own. At first I thought the background noise was a recording of waves you had made and then added, but realised it was probably the swish of vehicles going past. Your picking hand action, which is so clearly seen from your camera position, seems to indicate that your hand is acting almost like a metronome and picking every beat, with the longer notes "picked" above the strings so that your hand is in constant motion. An interesting technique and it certainly works for you.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Simon. I was taught to pick like you do. Up and down regardless of the note. I don't however practice it because I just got out of the habit and am lazy. Also after many years of trying to correct my picking, he sort of caved and said..just do what feels comfortable and works for you. So do what works for you and this method works well for you.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice new version, Jason - I agree with John on the ornaments, which fit in very well. Great tone, too! I think I have already commented on John's and Simon's recordings before, both of which are are up to their usual high standards.

Here is the recording I made last year, using the setting we play with our group. From Michel van der Meiren's now-defunct site -- I've uploaded the PDF here.

Michel's score says "Trad. England" but it is probably Irish -- I have seen a reference that it was taken from a song titled "A Ghaoith ó nDeas" (Oh Wind from the South), printed in Edward Bunting's 1809 Collection of Irish Folk Music, as having been transcribed from the playing of a harper of County Clare in 1792.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and excellent playing Martin. I like the introduction of tremolo after the first time through. I noticed too that you started this tune without your signature pick stroke count-in!
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Already four nice but different versions: John plays the tune quite fast on the octave mandolin, while Jason adds some country licks.
    Simon plays as flowingly as usual in spite of a pinched d-string while Martin beautifully doubles the melody line.
    I have recorded the tune in August last year, but this weekend, I transposed it to A and tried it a tad faster:
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A lot of good material above to learn from.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, Christian. The pictures are so fitting to the tune.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I did a basic version with simple guitar backing. In addition the old wooden swivel chair is creaking from time to time.

Pictures not fitting the title. I just decorated the apartment I temporally live in with my instruments. The indoor environment quality increases a lot this way!

https://youtu.be/BxHpKuBR_sg
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine version, Frithjof, and I like the creative use of your instruments throughout the apartment. Nice touch.
  16. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Excellent, very beautiful, Mr. Frithjof!

I miss the concetina, I love its sound! don't leave her so abandoned!
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playing Frithjof, I like the sewing machine! I have similar one as a kitchen table (Singer pedals below).

But what a strange thread, I don’t remember posting this, nor writing the sparse comment thanking Martin, who doesn’t appear to have posted a vid. Is this a thread from somewhere else. I’m confused.
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Frithjof, and great tour of your apartment!

Simon: I was confused by your post as well when it appeared, as I had not yet posted my own version in this thread. However, I now see that your entire post was verbatim reposted from this earlier thread (link) -- you were referring to my 2013 recording which I had just reposted there.

Martin
  19. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful version Frithjof! And everyone! I wasn't really getting this tune until Frithjofs' version. Then I went back and listened again to the others and was a little surprised by the wide range of styles on this tune all done great, but very different. I'm going with "A", like Christian, I love that!
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks all for the warm feedback.
  21. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Just in time for supper! Inspired by Frithjof, chords by Christian.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Frank, for this nice chord melody version. I like this style. Your video delivers a good view at your fretboard. I hope to learn at least a little from your playing.
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Oh, that's such a nice tune and so well played by everyone here! My favourite commercially available version is from Robin Bullock's Rosewood Castle album. I think it may be in the same key as Christian's recording. You have all produced very nice arrangements.
  24. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Gentlemen!
  25. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Beautifully played, Frank.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    More very professionally played tunes Frank, sounds great.
  27. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I like you relaxed chord and triad playing, Frank.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine, relaxed delivery of this fine tune, Frank. Missed it when first you posted it.
  29. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Folks! I'm not going anywhere John, I love SAW. I have started a thread in the main forum to post my "other" songs. Only because I want to respect the overall theme of this group. I will however post any SAW tunes,"waltzes", and any "others" I think fit, here also. Thanks Again!
  30. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump
  31. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Here's my version, based on the score uploaded by Martin - thank you!

I just tested negative again, so things are getting better. I'm lucky to be vaccinated and generally in good health. With all family members spending their days at schools and university, the virus will inevitably come to visit every so often. Stay safe and well!

32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Shows again that sustain can't be beaten, except by more sustain. Glockenspiel again.
  33. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was a beautiful version Dennis! I wish for a moment of the inner peace and kindness you so deftly display with most every perfomance, that extends right to and through your fingers.
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The virus couldn’t take away your smile and charisma, Dennis.
    I enjoy the great tone from your instruments, too.
  35. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice performance, Dennis. Hope your affliction does not last too long or cause any long-term problems.
  36. John W.
    John W.
    An enforced stay at home is usually at some point of benefit to one’s mandolin playing. Lovely version, Dennis, I raise a glass to a full, speedy recovery.
  37. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Dennis - John always told me to let the music heal me - and I see you are taking his advice too. One of my favourite tunes, well done, Dennis.
  38. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you for your kind comments! I'm feeling a bit stronger again and have started working (from home) today. Recording this tune has indeed made a positive difference to my well-being.