Holding a pick - A cool video

1. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    During Matt Flinner's OT101 class I started working on what pick to use, how to hold it, and how deep to pick into the strings. I had a teardrop shaped Prime Tone pick that came with one of my mandos and was similar to what Matt uses, and I started using the shoulder of it like he does. It became my current favorite.

Well, yesterday I lost that pick when I was visiting the in-laws, so I started shopping for a new one. I got thinking about whether some picks were intrinsically better than others at slipping through the strings, and I started scoping around the net.

I came across this Baron Collins-Hill mandolessons.com video on the topic of how deep to pick into the strings. I hadn't seen this video before, and it is very cool how he holds his mando so you can see. I've looked at alot of videos of different players' pick holds, and usually it's very hard to see too much. Here you can really see the angle of attack on the strings. I really like this video, so thought I'd put it out there in case you haven't seen it before either.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Good video! Interesting camera angle.
  3. NDO
    NDO
    That was really cool Sue! Thanks for posting that.
    (And reassuring to see that my grip that I readjusted a month or so ago is about right now.)
  4. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    All respect to Baron for creating such a valuable resource for mandolinists, but I can't hear his voice without thinking, "Hi boys and girls my name is Jimmy Carl Black and I'm the Indian of the group".
  5. Swimbob
    Swimbob
    I wonder why BEM, I don't think he sounds anything like Jimmy Carl Black. Maybe more like Ian Underwood? I loved the old Mothers.