Das Wandern ist des Müllers Lust

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I am playing this popular German folk song as a duet of mandolin and mandocello (with tenor guitar accompaniment). Based on a version for two recorders (or other melody instruments) in Volume 1 of "Der Flötenmusikant", a collection of around 100 German folksong arrangements published by Schott in 1975.

Kentucky KM-380S mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/2gcZASIjsnI

Martin
  2. John W.
    John W.
    I enjoyed that, Martin…as I do many of the tunes you introduce me to from around the globe!
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your version should be called "Das Laufen ist des Müller's Lust", Martin. To walk seems impossible to me at this speed, you make the miller run.
    Sounds nice nonetheless.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Christian. Yes, I've speeded it up a bit from common singing tempo (although there are some pretty fast vocal renditions online) in order to inject the energy to make it work as an instrumental. I never understood the song anyway: surely the miller's trade is by definition one of the most sedentary occupations around, with being tied to the location of your mill. I guess it's about journeymen millers before they settle down running their own mill.

Martin