Green Green Grass Of Home

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's a classic. Thanks for the listen!
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice relaxing pace Frank, thanks. I like the slides and hesitations too. Tone and dynamics.
  3. John W.
    John W.
    Frank, you regularly play tunes which I wouldn’t have considered for playing using mando family instruments…but they always seem to work! Sound playing, as usual.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a very fine arangement and playing of a great favourite here, Frank. I actually picked up my guitar and strummed along with it I was so taken by your performance. Again,as John W says, not a song I would usually associate with instrumental-only performance, but your interpretation certainly works.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sweet!
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful and very relaxing!
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That sounds great Frank! You inspired me to also try this tune.
    For variety's sake I recorded the French version Les Grilles de ma maison, sung by Dalida.
    I first recorded it with an F-hole mandolin, then with an oval hole, but I couldn't decide, which one
    sounds better, so I put them both into the video.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your recording is also beautiful, Christian. I tend to the sound of the oval holes every time – so I do in this case.
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice job to you both!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Meraviglioso! Romantic, nostalgique and well played comme d’habitude but a strange looking train Christian. J’ai jamais vu one like das, is it Swiss? or maybe French from the 1990’s?
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine interpretation, Christian. Music removes the language barriers very successfully.
  12. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks to All!! Nice one Christian! Both mandos sound great but I liked the oval more as soon as it started playing.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks gentlemen! I know nothing about the trains, Simon, but if you are looking for a video on Pixabay, you can't be too picky.
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Coincidentally, the concept of "home" is keeping me busy at work at the moment. I've been thinking that home is one of the few topics for folk songs that don't necessarily involve tragedy. At least on English stages, folk singers often joke that folk songs tend to be written about real or fictionalised events where lots of people die, or at least one person dies in especially tragic circumstances. I appreciate that this song isn't necessarily suitable as an exception to the rule, but my hypothesis is that songs about home will have a lower death toll than others. I say let's have more of the sweeter mourning for home - a place that doesn't exist in quite the way we remember it, but that motivates so much of what we are.

Thank you both for these nicely arranged and played renditions!