Pinzgauer Wickler

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a traditional dance from the village of Krimml in the Pinzgau region of the state of Salzburg in Austria, which I have learned from Vol. 7 of "Tanzmusik aus den Alpenländern", a series of nine booklets of traditional dance tunes from the Alps, originally published in the 1930s and still in print now:

https://www.stretta-music.de/tanzmus...nr-283080.html

The notation in the book includes chords and also letters that I think correspond to accordion basses -- I have used those to make a mandocello bassline which seems to fit well with the tune.

The "Pinzgauer Wickler" is a particular dance in 3/4 from this part of the Alps, rather than a specific tune: there are a number of Youtube video showing the dance, but all to somewhat different tunes from this one.

Kentucky KM-380S mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/GTKM2YpxIAQ

Martin
  2. John W.
    John W.
    As commented on YT, Martin…another great Austrian dance tune…played/sounding well on the 3 instruments.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John! For some reason Vol. 7 (dances from Salzburg state) is much nicer to play on mandolin than the other two volumes I have. Online videos suggest that they're using a lot of dual violin settings in Salzburg folk music, and that may the reason.

What I like is that all the tunes are very obviously of the Alps, but yet all very different from each other in style. The Wickler is a highly localised style of 3/4 dance that is somewhat like a Ländler but more rustic and slower, retaining a distinct stomping rhythm that was smoothed over in the Ländler in the 19th century as it morphed more into a waltz-type dance. I've tried to illustrate that in the two tunes I uploaded yesterday -- there are a fair number of dance videos online as well.

Martin
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a nice one, Martin. Great Alpen feeling!