Week #559 ~ Blackberry Blossom

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sorry that I'm a couple of days late posting the winner of this month's poll! That's what happens when its so long between polls; I keep thinking surely it's not time yet!

This poll winner is Blackberry Blossom. This was actually already a tune of the week, week #224, almost 9 years ago! Here's that thread! I see a number of the videos there are no longer available, but a number of them are!

Here is a link to notation on thesession.org

I've never been able to play this melody on the mandolin as fas as it's played in real life! So I've always played just a real dumbed down version, and let the whistle or fiddle player shine!

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This id thr version from Fiddler’s Fakebook https://www.dropbox.com/s/c101ngktqd...ossom.pdf?dl=0
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    What's up folks? I had expected lots of blistering bluegrass versions of this tune.
    Today, I sat down and recorded it as a rather slow hornpipe:

Well, at least I tried...
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like hornpipes, Christian. And why not slow it down with good tone vs. overaccelerating it to show off your picking abilities.
    (I say this because I can’t pick any tune faster than 160 bpm, of course. )
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Me too, I love Hornpipes. Christian’s #1! Great tone too.

(I took a vid of a little bee on my window sill that sat there waiting for honey. Will post it in my next vid which will be tomorrow).
  6. John W.
    John W.
    You did more than try, Christian, you succeeded! Great job in presenting this as a hornpipe.��
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Saw this when you posted it Christian, and thought it was really clever, really let the tune shine. Well Done!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting treatment of the tune, Christian, and it works well here. Your mix is always really well balanced in your recordings.
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    I love the change of feeling when playing these “blistering” tunes slowly. You’ve given this a beautiful, noble feeling, Christian, well done. Great media content as well, as always.

Don and I started working on Blackberry Blossom a while ago … Garfield’s that is. Whoops! We won’t threadbomb, promise!
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks everyone!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump